Bathtub Doors Over A Tub With A Purposefully Uneven Edge

Users who are viewing this thread

jules18

Reaction score
I'm updating a bathroom last updated in 1940. At first I thought I would replace the old cast iron tub since it's pepto-bismol pink, and I want to install a glass bathtub door and adjoining panel. After thinking about it I noticed the tub itself is in great shape with no issues so I thought maybe I could have it professionally resurfaced and then install the glass walls. Here's the catch: The tub was designed so it has a center apron lip that is higher than the rest... I'm going to attach a picture, because I am sure I am not explaining it correctly but it's easy to see.

Before I go down the rabbit hole of figuring out whether resurfacing will hold up under bathtub walls, can I even install a wall/door over this tub with the design as it is? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
24l4ycy.jpg

Thanks! Jules

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mmmmm. Don't do it.
Putting a glass door track on that not a good idea.
Resurfacing tub, not good either.

Too bad. It looks kinda cool.

Sounds like a new tub with a framed end wall. Either part up or to the ceiling.

jules18

Reaction score
Mmmmm. Don't do it.
Putting a glass door track on that not a good idea.
Resurfacing tub, not good either.

Too bad. It looks kinda cool.

Thank you for your thoughts, Terry. I agree that it is a shame. But I can't with the pink, I don't have space for a separate shower and I need the glass walls because I am prone to getting water everywhere.

Too bad it seems to be such a custom thing to have a glass end wall adjoin a sliding door.

Thank you for your help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could be done, but it would all be custom and that often means more expensive. As Terry said, resurfacing often doesn't last much more than 5-years, if that. Sometimes you get lucky. While you're at it, since you're using this as a shower, you'll want to change that valve to one with federal required anti-scald technology.

JRC3

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. A nice large gap betrween the wall and ceiling would make the room feel larger. I'd only go as tall as you need to for a curtain or shower door, plus a few inches and then a proud cap. I'd probably put a shower niche in too. And maybe lower on the toilet side a TP niche to hold a few rolls.

Glass shower walls look nice but they are hard to keep clean and at some point they will leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks