Bathtub copper pipe leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Whellow

Reaction score
I pulled off the spout of our second floor bathroom bathtub because water was dripping out of it. The copper pipe (the "nipple" as I've read it being called) is also leaking a couple of drops of water. Is this normal? Is the spout supposed to keep those drips from coming through into the bathtub?

Thanks - bigtime plumbing newbie here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The thing that is supposed to "keep those drops away" is the shut off valve for the tub/shower. You need to have the valve repaired. The spout dripping was a symptom NOT the problem. Put everything back together the way it was and call a plumber.

Whellow

Reaction score
Thanks hj. Are there shut off valves in each bathroom? Just wondering why my other second floor bathroom doesn't have any leaks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A tub shower combo will drip for 35 minutes after use.
It takes that long for all the water to dry up in the pipes that are behind the tile.

Does it continue to leak two hours later?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are a bit confused about shut off valves. The one HJ refers to the one you turn the water for the tub and shower on/off with. There normally are two other valves that are not as visible or used very often. These are small valves in the hot and cold lines prior to their meeting at the main on/off valve. These valves allow the water to the tub/shower to be turned off so the other big valve can be worked on without turning off the entire house. Normally, all sinks, toilets, and showers have these valves. Look under your toilets and sinks and you will almost certainly see them. As HJ and Terry point out, there are two possibilities for you problem. The big valve could need new internal parts or the water you are calling a leak is just normal water draining from the shower pipe. If it continues after a couple of hours, it just the normal draining. If it continues, then you need the big valve serviced. It is easy to be confused when the term, "valve" can be used in different contexts.

Whellow

Reaction score
Gary - thanks for the explanation! You're right I was confused about the two meanings.

To answer Terry: Yes, it continues to leak two hours later. It hasn't stopped leaking yet. Taking Gary's explanation into consideration, this means the valve that turns the water on/off for the tub and shower needs to be serviced. I've already contacted my plumber about the problem.

Thanks guys!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
VERY FEW tub/shower valves have the secondary shut off valves Gary was referring to. And the other bath/shower is not leaking because its valve does NOT need repairing at this time. Your plumber will know what to fix and how to fix it. All YOU have to do is show him the valve, you do not have to give him any advice as to how to fix it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks