Bathtub Comparison

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Irene Bullen, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Irene Bullen

Irene Bullen New Member

I need to get a new tub and enclosure for a rental condo. The old tub rusted through where the overflow valve is located and I was told the tub walls have to come down too. I don't want a steel tub and I was thinking of putting in Americast. A contractor told me about Swanstone, but they don't seem to make their own tub and sell a product called Veritek. Any information about this product and how it compares to other bathtub materials? Any recommendations on tub walls - Swanstone, fiberglass, other? I want to keep the cost moderate. Would appreciate advice. :rolleyes:
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

For the long term I would recommend either a cast-iron tub or the Americast, but others will have other preferences. For the walls the thin flexible materials do not seem to stay attached very long.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Sterling ( by Kohler ) makes a tub and a surround kit from a material called Vikrell. It is some kind of acrylic finish. I believe it is superior to fibreglas. The surround kit snaps and interlocks with the tub; easy and troublefree install.

Top of the line: cast iron tub with ceramic or Silestone (not silestone fibreglas) wall. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$