Bathtub Big Trap is too low in basement ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

dito74

Reaction score
I have this big trap that it's coming down too low and I am trying to finish the basement.
Everybody that comes down there tells me that this is not a good work, someone before me did this.

What are my options? Can I replace it with another smaller trap? can I get rid of the trap? Thank you for the attention.

IMG_5739.jpgIMG_5746.jpgIMG_5747.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You cannot "get rid" of A trap.
2. That was a poor choice for a trap'
3. Given the way the piping is installed even a proper trap will hang down at least the same distance.
4. In other words, at "some" time the piping might have been installed to hide the trap, it does not seem possible now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are smaller traps that can be used.
You do need one though. Without the trap, you might as well put your nose down the outhouse and take a big breath.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Put in a new trap up in the joist cavity and run the drain between and parallel to the joists over toward the exterior wall. Roll a 90 and join up to a wye with a cleanout that then runs under the floor joists parallel to the exterior wall over to the existing old drain.

It still woudn't be to code since I don't see a vent anywhere.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would guess that out of the picture that there is a vent.
You can't go up or down after the vent. It has to be at a 2% grade and within 5 feet on a 2" trap arm and 42" for a 1.5" trap arm.

Last edited:

dito74

Reaction score
thank you

thank you guys, the idea to run between the joists to the wall and then along the wall is nice, but I am not a plumber and I don't know how easy that is going to be.
I will probably leave it that way. I am going to have a kids room down there, 2 boys + 1 coming the next 2 weeks (that is also why I am in a hurry).... so I am thinking that perhaps I should at least protect this trap, in the case they decide to play baseball with it... :)

is there some type of cover I can use/find? I guess after I put sheetrock maybe a plastic bowl (like there is a lightbulb inside) can do it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You cannot sheetrock that ceiling because that would create illegal hidden junction points in your wiring and you have wiring running under the joists.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I guess that means you are a better electrician than you are a plumber. Anyone who would suggest installing a bathtub trap using an "S" trap, (especially connect to a VERY long drain line),would NOT be bothered by covering a concealed "J" box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks