Bathrooms smell sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

Mirage075

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We bought a house last year with 2 bathrooms of which 1 was only partially finished.
It has since been finished and is used every day. The second bathroom gets used a few times a month only.

Since we moved in we have noticed that sometimes there is a strong sewer smell in both bathrooms (at the same time). This occurs very irregular, sometimes a few days in a row, sometimes nothing for months.
I've tried to figure out if the weather has anything to do with it but it also seems none related, summer or winter, rain or sun, no specific influence.

Has anybody heard of something similar or any ideas of what could be causing this?

Thanks!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Bathroom Smells Some Times

sewage-smell-1.jpg

Phantom doors are hard to trace. Could be an open pipe somewhere and the smell could be coming from the wind...

When I say wind I mean that when the wind blows from a certain direction it can help draw more air up one of your vent stacks.

I might take notice of the wind direction while you try and figure out the smell.

It might also be that the guest bathroom toilet is piped wrong and is S venting or the toilet is draining the trap in the guest bath sink.

Next time you smell the smell - look for water down the sink drains.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing that does not get used can dry up. A trap without water is a straight line from the septic or sewer. I would first make sure that water is run every so often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks