bathrooms - fixture problems

Users who are viewing this thread

adamsstslugger

Reaction score
This may be long, but I figure if I give enough details, it might bring a solution. I’m a wife on a mission to figure out what the problem could be. I feel like my 2 bathrooms are working against each other.

On the shower in #1 bathroom the dial for on/off twisted off after 20 years of use. We screwed it back on-again it came off, we screwed it back in and caulked it and again it came off. Then we put a new valve and new fixture on - in the mean time the shower in the other bath started to do the same. (the bathrooms are back to back). #1 bathroom lever (that determines whether you get hot or cold water) was no longer determining the temp. Now when the water would come on it only would go to hot and then to scalding can’t get any cold water. In the meantime the #2 bathroom we replace the same stuff we did in #1 bathroom. But #2 bathroom takes forever to get any warm water. So, we again put in a new valve in #2 bathroom with new fixture and all was right in the land of #2 bathroom (#1 bathroom we exiled). Now #2 bathroom’s lever that controls the temp no longer works - no cool, just hot. Someone discovered by accident the on/off water dial is determining the temp. Keep it low get cool, turn it on more and it will get hotter. I have noticed that the temp lever does not smoothly turn. It catches. (#1 bathroom does the same). Example, if you were looking at a clock 12 - 2 - the lever will go 12 and catch at 2, sometimes it feels like you could twist the whole thing off just moving the lever, like it’s too tight. The temp lever acts like that all the way around. Also, each time we put new valve and fixture on and everything is as it should be - it only takes 3 months and we’re back to square one again.

I know my plumbing knowledge is not that great, but everyone is so busy, I thought I would check here to see if anyone has dealt with this type of problem before and pass the word on. (Love this site, helped me decide what toilet to buy.) Any ideas?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Unfortunately we have no idea what you are describing because you do not tell us the make and model of the faucet. Without that your description of how it operates and what you replaced does not help us.

adamsstslugger

Reaction score
I appreciate you taking time to answer. Again, I'm sorry I don't know all there is to know on this, but I do know our original shower fixtures were by Mixet. Every time we replace it we replace with Mixet. Is this where we might be going wrong?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks