Bathroom Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

dodgerblue31

Reaction score
I'm in the process of gutting a 6'x6' bathroom that was plumbed many years ago. The sink, toilet, and 5' claw tub were plumbed one after another. The sink was plumbed directly to the stack vent and the toilet and tub were plumbed together with a vent loop.

We are replacing the tub with a 48"x 36" vikrell shower unit and moving the toilet right next to the shower unit.

Across the room we were able to open a closet that allowed us to move the sink to that area. My plan is to plumb the sink drain into the basement which would interconnect with the shower drain and then to the main sewage stack.

My question is the vent for the sink. Do I need to vent directly through the roof? Take the vent into the attic and vent this back to the main cast iron stack or a chicago loop?

I live in Buffalo, New York and need to understand my options.

Since the sink sits across the room it will be a little more than 7' from the main stack.

Thank you in advance for any of your advice.

I can provide a picture of the layout if that would help with your suggestions.

Thanks!

DodgerBlue31

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Every trap needs to be vented before it makes connection to a shared drain. In the case of a sink, the vent must go up at or before the point which the drain turrns down.

Last edited:

dodgerblue31

Reaction score
I understand that I need to vent the shower and the sink. I have multiple options to bring the vent up through the roof or the bathroom ceiling back to the main stack. I don't think an AAV is a possibility but there is the island vent solution.

Any imagery that can help me visually understand my options would be helpful.

I'm not sure what is meant by "the vent must go up at or before the point which the drain turrns down".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
uote; Since the sink sits across the room it will be a little more than 7' from the main stack.

That is immaterial. It can be SEVENTY feet, as long as it is installed properly. The sentence you are asking about means that the vent MUST be connected AT OR BEFORE the point where your drain goes downward. And even that has caveats as to the distance where it has to happen.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I suggest you Google "isometric plumbing diagrams" to give you some ideas, and then download your plumbing code and look up what the allowed trap to vent distances are for the various pipe sizes. This will open your eyes to one part of doing your layout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks