Bathroom Vent Fan - NuTone vs. Panasonic

Users who are viewing this thread

CarlH

Reaction score
I'm looking into replacing my current NuTone/Mercury C350 with a unit that is quieter and moves more air. My bathroom is approximately 60 sq. ft. I was looking at the 80 and 110 CFM models, but given the relatively small price difference I am leaning toward a 110 CFM unit. The models I am looking at are the NuTone QTXEN and the Panasonic FV-11Q3. I am leaning toward the Panasonic since it is a bit cheaper and will give me a chance to check out the mounting options. I have another bathroom where I want to replace the fan, but I do not have access above the ceiling. I guess I have pretty much made up my mind to get the Panasonic. Is there any reason to pick the NuTone over the Panasonic other than being an U.S. company?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Anyone want to put money on the Nutone being manufactured in the USA? I've installed two Panasonics, one an 80 cfm in a small bathroom and another 250 cfm remote unit in a large bathroom. Both are quiet although you can definitely hear the large unit move air. Panasonics get a lot of favorable press on this and other forums.

Rick

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Had you given thought to a remote motor and two inlets, one in each bathroom? Fantec and others make these. The Panasonics are nice. Having the motor remote is quieter.

If either of these bathrooms are on the top floor, had you considered a tubular skylight with the fan kit? I've got one by www.solatube.com that works very well, and has a remote motor and the light kit. On a snowy night, the reflections cast a glow in the room (no windows), or a full moon is enough to find the toilet without turning on the lights. in full daylight, it is the equivalent of a 300W incandescent light bulb...really neat.

CarlH

Reaction score
Anyone want to put money on the Nutone being manufactured in the USA?

I was careful in the way that I phrased that.;) I just said they were a U.S company. Being not entirely sure, I just went and checked to see if my assumption was correct and the ownership trail still ends with a U.S. based company. Also, I checked a few online auctions Broan and Nutone that had pictures of the boxes and such and found that it does appear that they are still made here. One actually had a picture of the motor ID plate and it indicated that it was made here, which I was surprised to see. It is a bit moot at this point since I think I will go ahead with the Panasonic fan.

jadnashua said:
Had you given thought to a remote motor and two inlets, one in each bathroom? Fantec and others make these. The Panasonics are nice. Having the motor remote is quieter.

I did not consider this. I already upgraded the other bathroom on this floor with a Broan S110LU and I have no complaints with this unit. It is much quieter than the economy builder grade fan that it replaced and moves plenty of air. I have had this one in for a while but did not realize the difference that it made until I had to shower in that bath since mine was not available due to maintenance. The two fans that are next on the list are on separate floors. It is the half bath on the main floor that will be difficult to upgrade due to lack of access from above the ceiling. I'll save that till after I upgrade the 2nd upstairs bath.

jadnashua said:
If either of these bathrooms are on the top floor, had you considered a tubular skylight with the fan kit? I've got one by www.solatube.com that works very well, and has a remote motor and the light kit. On a snowy night, the reflections cast a glow in the room (no windows), or a full moon is enough to find the toilet without turning on the lights. in full daylight, it is the equivalent of a 300W incandescent light bulb...really neat.

I like those skylights, but I really don't need it. Both of the top floor baths have windows.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go with the Panasonic unit. I just had to ask since I knew nothing about the Panasonic fans.

CarlH

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I got the Panasonic fan and it has been in for a couple weeks now. The increase in airflow has made a significant improvement on moisture build up when taking a shower. I should have changed out the old fan 10 years ago.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on your project.

I definitely agree with your decision to go with more CFM. By any industry standard calculation, the 80 CFM would provide more than the minimum recommended air changes per hour. But I always opt for more CFM and find it makes a big difference.

hawkman

Reaction score
Panasonic Bath Fan

I noticed that the housing on most of the panasonic bath fans are 7 7/8 deep.. that doesn't leave room to put down an attic floor, uh? The joist in the attic is a 2x8 which is really 2x7 and some change. Are my assumptions correct?

TorontoTim

Reaction score
Yes - I just installed a Panasonic fan in my 80 year old house. There was an attic space above the bathroom so I was able to mount it flush against the joists.

I think you'd be alright if you blocked it down from the joists 3/8" or so and then butted the drywall up against it. Not sure if the grill would secure properly however, as it may be designed with the thickness of drywall in mind. Probably could easily be tightened up though.

Panasonics are nice nice nice fans IMHO. Seem to be very well made. Not sure where it's made - I'm done with 'Made in China' and am done with Home Depot. For this bathroom reno (my house) I shopped at plumbing and electrical supply shops. Saved tons of money off HD prices and the items were actually made in Canada (recessed low voltage lights and trim) etc. I think the bathroom thus far is all either made in Canada, the US or Italy (marble tile).

Klutzy

Reaction score
Website
www.barackobama.com
Solatube in New England winters?

Gee this sounds like a lovely alternative to one little window in the 9x5 closet space I'm converting to a bathroom! I'm in central New England too. Does the Solatube cause heat and/or cold problems in summer or winter? Seems like an awful lot of heat would escape out the glass top of the tube. There is approx 1' of attic space between the ceiling and roof. The remodel is happening right now so I have to decide fast if I want to have a Solatube and fan instead of a window and fan. Thanks for any advice.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The air shaft is sealed, there should be little heat loss in the tube itself. As to the vent, insulate the pipe and make sure the damper is installed properly. I've not noticed any cold air escaping in the winter, nor do I see any snow melting on the roof around the light tube collector or the exhaust (note, I don't use the fan much in the winter, but do in the summer - I figure the humidifer won't have to run as much).

Klutzy

Reaction score
Website
www.barackobama.com
solatube.jpg

Solatube
So you don't notice a cold draft or anything like that? Great! I was not happy about the window because it's on the short, only exterior, wall, which faces west, and the far end of the room will be quite dark much of the day. I can position the Solatube directly over the sink and be able to see myself in the mirror in the early morning. Wait...maybe that's not such a good thing after all!:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The amount of light depends on the time of day, and the orientation on the roof. Mine's on the west side of the peak...plenty of light in the morning, but a lot more in the afternoon. There's even light at night if the moon's up.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
One thing that occured to me is the small amount of height you have...you probably want to talk to them to see if you have enough to install both the light tube and the fan. The fan motor is remote and in-line. It might be tough to install from below. Normally, you have access in the attic. I think you'd be fine for the light-tube, though...that can be done from below and from the roof.

eolafan

Reaction score
Anyone want to put money on the Nutone being manufactured in the USA? I've installed two Panasonics, one an 80 cfm in a small bathroom and another 250 cfm remote unit in a large bathroom. Both are quiet although you can definitely hear the large unit move air. Panasonics get a lot of favorable press on this and other forums.

Rick

NuTone Ultra Silent fans are made in Hartford, Wisconsin and Panasonic fans (all of them) are made in China...support US workers and products!!!!

SeattleSoxFan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
jandmcarpentry.com
This looks like an old thread resurrected and the conversation is mostly moot, but as a general rule of thumb you don't want to oversize the fan any more than you need to. It's like a furnace or anything. Properly sized is more efficient and more isn't always better.

The "standard" formula I've seen is to replace the air 8 times/hour. You have 60sf * 8'? That's 480cf to change 8 times / 60 minutes = 64 cfm fan. I would have suggested the 80 unless you have a heat exchanger or enjoy high utility bills :)

You also might need to enlarge the gap at the bottom of the bathroom door or you'll just be taxing the fan and making it die (and warble miserably) sooner trying to pull 80cfm through the usual 1" gap (< 0.25sf) under the door!

Size it right and use a timer switch on the fan... My 0.02.

Or, let it die sooner and buy another American made fan probably filled with Chinese parts. :)

eolafan

Reaction score
This looks like an old thread resurrected and the conversation is mostly moot, but as a general rule of thumb you don't want to oversize the fan any more than you need to. It's like a furnace or anything. Properly sized is more efficient and more isn't always better.

The "standard" formula I've seen is to replace the air 8 times/hour. You have 60sf * 8'? That's 480cf to change 8 times / 60 minutes = 64 cfm fan. I would have suggested the 80 unless you have a heat exchanger or enjoy high utility bills :)

You also might need to enlarge the gap at the bottom of the bathroom door or you'll just be taxing the fan and making it die (and warble miserably) sooner trying to pull 80cfm through the usual 1" gap (< 0.25sf) under the door!

Size it right and use a timer switch on the fan... My 0.02.

Or, let it die sooner and buy another American made fan probably filled with Chinese parts. :)

Wrong again...the NuTone fans are made of AMERICAN made parts and completely assembled in Hartford, WISCONSIN...which is about as American as you can get. Pansonic is made in China by a Japanese company, which is about as UNAMERICAN as you can get.

jackiec123

Reaction score
Have been looking @ bathroom fans and Panasonic gets very favorable reviews. However, the Nutone humidity feature can't be overlooked. To me, having the fan come on and off automatically, is more important than a very quiet fan. Can someone who has one of these comment on how well it works? Thanks

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If max quiet is your goal, then I think the Panasonic line will win out. They're not the most expensive, but they're not inexpensive, either. There are wall switches that have built-in timers or a humidistat.

jackiec123

Reaction score
Yes, but I'm trying to stick to 1 switch, leaving the second for plug in devices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks