Bathroom subfloor 1/2" MDO plywood adhesive?

Users who are viewing this thread

jesterbratt

Reaction score
Pulled up vinyl (1960s) floor in bathroom, house built 1900 . Old felt adhesive stuck on to hardwood floor boards. Boards are solid but slightly squeaky in some spots. I could probably get away with just putting down 1/4" durorock but a nice 1/2" a plywood subfloor will tighten everything up.

Went to lowes and asked the guy to cut a few 4x8 sheets of 1/2" plywood in half as the hallway in the house is very narrow. I told him what I was using it for, we talked about durorock, etc. Came time to pay and the cost was $50 for 1/2" plywood. Apparently he cut MDO plywood, which has some type of veneer on top of it that makes it great for painting.

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...g-1-2-x-4-x-8-mdo-plywood/p-1444452504136.htm

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Medium-Den...r-Mdo-Plywood-Application-as-4-x-8/1000049011

Can I use this just like regular plywood or is there some special adhesive I need to use to get the durorock to stick to it?

They apologized and gave me 25% off the cost of the wood, the guy that cut it was on break and I didn't have time to wait to debate the issue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the thinset used under a cement board is not there to bond it to the substrate...it is there to fill any minor imperfections and provide 100% support...the nails or screws used hold it in place. I'm not sure if that plywood will work as intended. ON another point...hardwood underneath any tile is also problematic...there's a reason why plywood is used, it's much more stable than any dimensional wood, hardwood included. Also, have you verified that the floor is actually strong enough to support a tiled installation? Deflection consists of two parts...along the joists and in between them. Both parts must be strong enough, or you tiled installation is at risk.

A house that old was probably not built with tile in mind unless it was on a full-depth mudbed. Check out www.johnbridge.com for some help on this matter. They have a deflection calculator you can use to check out your deflection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks