Bathroom sink woes

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob_ring

Reaction score
I'm a DIYer, and I've done some basic plumbing before, but I've run into a problem that has me stumped. I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I'm replacing our bathroom sink/vanity, and when I went to replace the J-trap, the pipe came right out of the wall... I believe this is called the "stub out"?

Anyway, I'm left with what appears to be a large nut on the pipe. I've tried everything in my bag of tricks (penetrating oil, heating, 24" wrench for leverage) and I can't get it to budge at all... which makes me wonder exactly what I'm looking at here. In the photo, you can see the nut is on a piece of piping that appears to have SOME threading there, but barely 1/8"... nothing I can put a slip nut onto. What is confusing me is that there also appears to be threading on the INSIDE of the pipe.

Is this nut supposed to come off? And the piece immediately behind it (which appears threaded on the inside)... what is that?

I've wasted too much time on this already - any advice on what I can do here? Once I get the piping in the wall to a point where I can attach the P trap I'm fine... but this is a major roadblock for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 130

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a "solder bushing" screwed into a pipe fitting. When the "wall bend" was installed it SHOULD have been soldered in that piece, but then it would not have come out when you pulled it.

Rob_ring

Reaction score
This is helpful. Thanks. It looks to me like whoever installed this originally just stuck the pipe in there and "sealed" it with caulking. Sheesh.

Do I need to do anything special with this fitting? Or can I just solder it the same way I would any other pipe? Also, how deep into the solder bushing should my pipe go? If I allow 1" insertion would that be adequate?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks