Bathroom Sink - Popup - No Through Pivot Rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
Does anyone still make a bathroom sink popup that does not use a pivot rod that must be withdrawn to allow thorough cleaning of the drain line?

The 1929 built house of my childhood used an American Standard design with a sleeve that was raised to the open position and rotated slightly so that the popup stopper could be lifted out without any need that the pivot rod be withdrawn from the bottom end of what now appears to be the 'standard design' sink popup. It was larger than today's stopper and the sleeve that engaged the very short lift rod was made of relatively thin brass that could easily be bent out of shape. A quick search shows that American Standard is now using the 'standard' approach.

I have to deal with a 'modern look' vessel sink and separately mounted faucet where there is at least 12" between the extended pivot rod and the lift rod on the faucet. The sink does have an overflow provision.

It is a royal pain to loosen all the pivot connections so that the rod can be pulled back enough to remove the popup and the reassembly is always a 2-person job that is several times more difficult.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

JRC3

Reaction score
With the popup plug out, reinstall the pivot rod. Drop the plug back in place. It may not seal to fill the sink, but it sits there to cover the hole and is easily removed. This is what I did before I did the below.

In my bathroom I just remove the popup altogether and use one of these. It keeps the hair out too. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-1-1-2-in-Crumb-Cup-without-Post-89049/203675140 Not sure if that link is the exact size. It fits like it came from the factory. I'll post a pic later.

JRC3

Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_2513[1].JPG
    IMG_2513[1].JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 323
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks