Bathroom Sink P-trap backup and glug sound "un-vented"

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave1017

Reaction score
i recently installed a new bathroom sink with a p trap. As soon as I turn the water on the sink starts to backup and the water drain very slowly. When it is done draining it makes several glug glug sounds. There are no clogs. I would assume it is air in the line, but how do I fix it? It's 1-1/2 inch pipe and trap. Could it be bad positioning or size?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 619

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you lift the stopper out temporarily? How does the sink drain then?

Your lack of a vent is more likely to cause a sewer smell, due to the trap emptying out, than to cause slow draining.

You might have a clog.

JerryR

Reaction score
Can't see that the line is vented? If not then perhaps an AAV
"Typical signs you need to install or replace an air admittance valve in your plumbing system, is bubbling or gurgling in the drain pipe or slow draining fixtures."

Attachments

• aav-vent.jpg
    aav-vent.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,007

Dave1017

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm pretty sure it's not a clog because it happens so quickly and I pulled it apart and snaked it. I'm think an AAV if all else fails. The guy who moved the drain might have moved it just a little too far from the vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
He may have double trapped the drain, because the mere fact that it is NOT vented would NOT prevent drainage, but WOULD cause gurgling AFTER the water drains. An AAV would be completely useless for this problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks