Bathroom renovation questions

Users who are viewing this thread

cbiscuit

Reaction score
I don't even know enough of the terms to even do a search, so I apologize of the answers are out there. I have several questions, all of which I am sure are basic.

We are replacing a laminate countertop with quartz. To go along with the renovation, we are doing new faucets, towel bars, etc. My question is in relation to replacement faucets and the shower hard-wear (the spout, shower head, and handle thingee that controls temp....see what I mean?).

1) I am looking at a Moen wide-set. I am replacing a center-set. Moen sells separately the valves. Do I need to purchase these for the new faucets?

2) I am also looking to get the matching aforementioned shower hard-wear. A valve is also sold separately....need it?
2a) How do I remove the current spout?
2b) How do I remove temp control thingee?

3) There is currently no bathroom fan/vent. We would like to add one. I am leery of cutting a hole in my roof myself. Who would I hire to do this installation? Electrician?

Thanks and excuse the ignorance.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may be sure of your ability to do more than half of your plan, but the reality will be costly if you try. Your questions indicate you have little or no knowledge about what you are doing. You are not prepared to DIY this job. My advise is to get at least 3 contractors to estimate the job you want done and select one of them. Now I completely understand you want or need to save money, but believe me, a blotched DIY job that won't pass inspection and has to be redone will cost you more than just getting it done right the first time. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need pictures of what you have and pictures or links to what you want to do. Maybe you could do it. No matter how bad you tear it up, somebody can fix it. So give it a shot, it might be fun and educational for all.

cbiscuit

Reaction score
I don't have access to a) the bathroom in question or b) pictures of it/a camera, but....

The entire countertop with both sinks is going away. The new countertop with under-mounted sinks will be installed by the pros. We therefore need new faucets. Some say they do not come with a valve (Moen Brantford) (sold separately) and some just do not specify (Delta Linden). Question 1 - do I need this valve or is that for new installations (ie not replacements)?

Also, in the bath tub you have the "faucet"/spout. The Moen Brantford also says that the valve is sold separately. Question 2 - Do I need it? Question 2a - how do I remove the old one? Just twist? Remove set screw?

Also, in the shower/tub, you have the control for turning the water on and controlling the temperature. Question 2b - How do I remove this for replacement? Set screw?

There is no fan. Question 4 - who do I contact for the installation of one? Contractor in general? Electrician? I will NOT be doing this myself.

I feel like I am not explaining things properly, so maybe links to what I would like to install will help.

Question 1 - http://www.moen.com/brantford/chrom...bathroom-faucet/_/R-CONSUMER:T6620?cord=T2153

Question 2-3 - http://www.moen.com/brantford/chrome-posi-temp-r-tub-shower/_/R-CONSUMER:T2153

The only reason I ask these basic questions is that this is my first time doing it and none of the directions I can find on sites have discussed removal of existing and re-using old parts (ie the valves). Does this clear things up or have I simply restated my initial questions?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words...Go to Youtube and watch videos on how to install faucets.

It sounds like you are determined to try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks