Bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

Sharri McAnally

Reaction score
I am having a all in one fiberglass tub and shower removed and installing a walk in shower. I have many different opinions as to whether to insist on a fiberglass shower pan or a rubber shower pan. Can anyone tell me if one is better than the other.

Confused

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The fiberglass pan is one piece....put it down, do the walls = instant shower. A rubber ( probably PVC or vinyl) means preslope the subfloor, then the liner, then the mud bed, then tile. Lot of work.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Tile looks good, permanently. My opinion.

It's a lot of work to tile walls well, setting each tile straight without lippage (one tile sticking out more than the next) and all evenly spaced. The work to tile the floor is a reasonable challenge to a tile person who knows how.

david

Sharri McAnally

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm not installing the shower pan myself. I have a contractor. There will be tile installed over whatever is used for the pan. I'm just not sure if the rubber pan is better. i.e. more long wearing, more leak proof, etc.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The UPC (national plumbing code) requires the waterproof layer in a shower to be sloped towards the drain. Many contractors seem to feel they don't have to do that, and install a shower liner on the floor, flat. Water will get below the tile in a shower floor, so then, where can it go if the pan is flat on the floor? Nowhere...

There are numerous approved methods to building a shower. Recently, I did one for my mother. I used the Kerdi system from www.schluter.com. It is pretty bulletproof if done right (as are any of the approved methods). There are too many horror stories about poor jobs. Most are done well, but more than you want to believe are done wrong. It is best to educate yourself a little so yo ucan sort out a compentant contractor, if you aren't going to do it yourself. Personally, I think a fiberglass shower pan is a waste of money...then don't look that great new, and look worse as they age and the gloss starts to go and microfractures start to occur.

Any shower system can give you problems if it isn't installed properly...a good tile job can last you for life...you'd probably tire of it's style, move, or die before it failed. A poor job can start giving you problems as soon as it is built.

If you want to do some homework, check out www.johnbridge.com site "Tile Your World" for some inspiration and help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks