Bathroom Remodel - Toilet Relocation

Users who are viewing this thread

bjgallion

Reaction score
I have a nice sized bathroom on the second floor of my house. The problem is that it looks like it was hastily contstructed. While there is room for a large shower/tub, there is only a small corner stall, a toilet that sits right next to it and plenty of open, unused space. I would like to replace the small shower stall with a large, walk-in shower. The problem is that the toilet sits directly in the path of where I want to extend the shower. How difficult would it be to move the toilet about 3 feet? Would I just need to cut off the flange, attach an elbow to the existing pipe and route it to where it needs to go?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's more complicated than that. You need to be able to maintain the normal 1/4" per foot slope of the horizontal parts. That may put the connection too high. You may have to go through some joists, that can cause structural problems that need to be addressed. You may have to entirely relocate the run. The vent needs to be close enough to the toilet for it to work.

This all might be easy, but until you know the layout of the structure and the pipes, it would be hard to say. If you can live with a soffit in the ceiling below, it may give you some more leaway, but until you start to check things out, it will be hard to tell.

There is nearly always a way to do it, it is just how big of an effort it will take. No way to tell until you know how things are currently layed out.

When you enlarge the shower, you would normally want to move the drain to the middle of the new shower and (while it should already be) make sure it is a 2" line.

tobinator

Reaction score
I thought a 1 1/2" line was recommended for a shower or tub due to the self scouring ability? Maybe not...

Matt

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A tub is set with a 1.5" drain. A shower requires a 2" drain. The difference is that in a tub, you have much more volume that can accumulate if the drain gets plugged accidentally. In a shower, you only have a little depth before it could overflow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks