Bathroom remodel questions (moving a toilet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Finch85

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Donnie and I've recently began a remodel on our upstairs master bathroom. Got some questions, of course.

Here is a pic of vanity drain. I've already ordered the necessary plumbing to convert this to a double vanity. Now that I'm looking at the picture, I hope my double fixture fitting will have enough clearance beside that stud. I'll have to check once I get back home. The supply lines will be converted to PEX and teed off and plumbed to their appropiate locations for each sink.

sinkdrain.gif

This picture is just for reference. It is coming from the sink drain.

bathroom.gif

And here is the hair ball. The 3" sewer line on the very right (with the pex overtop) is the toilet drain for this bath. The 3" sewer drain on the left is from our hallway bath. The duct taped drain/trap is the shower. Now, I could keep everything the same and just start putting our new bathroom back together. But, we've talked about moving our toilet under the window which is basically overtop the joist bay that contains the 2" sink drain and 2" shower drain wye. It connects to the 3" line that both sewer lines connect to. Would it be feasible to install a toilet at this location? Really hope this makes sense. I don't know what would be needed to be done about the toilet vent pipe since the toilet would be moved to a completely different location. I don't want to cut holes in joists either. Thanks!

bathroom1.gif

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For the lav, instead of putting a new fitting in there, you could cut the drain line and run a new piece up for the second lav. You'd need to run a vent up from it, but it doesn't have to go all the way to the attic to reconnect with the existing, but could reconnect in the wall since you have it open...not sure which would be easier.

Don't know why when running pex, people end up treating it like solid copper and use all those fittings...it's designed to bend around corners. Might not be as neat, but hey, once it's covered up, it really isn't an issue. Fewer fittings (cost and time), less restrictions, less chance of a failure which is more likely at a fitting than in the middle of the tubing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It can be done, but it will require a "major" revision to the existing piping since you do not have any "pipe stubs" to cut off and make the new connections. Basically, you would cut everything out starting at the right hand toilet connection and redo the entire setup.

Last edited:

Finch85

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I have a new layout idea I'd like to run by you all. This seems very doable but I'm no expert.

Basically, I'd like to move the toilet down less than 3 feet and use it's existing drain pipe. If moved to this location, it will be less than 3' from where the vent stack pulls off. Then, the existing toilet drain would be made to be the 2 inch shower drain. Then I assume you'd just "cap" off the old shower drain line (cut the trap off and cap it). Also keep in mind, hard to tell in this pic but the joists run parallel with the 3 inch drain lines.

bathroom-1.jpg

Would this be enough room to plumb in the "new" toilet drain?

bathroom2.jpg

Here is another view
bathroom1.gif

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How you make the new toilet's connection is important, and since the pipe is right above the ceiling, the shower's "P" trap would be hanging below the ceiling, and you probably cannot raise the trap legally.

Finch85

Reaction score
HJ...so I assume what they did with the current shower drain pipe is illegal? I guess I envisioned the new shower drain location to be similar to it's current configuration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks