Bathroom remodel DWV Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

dw

Reaction score
OK, am in the process of beginning plumbing for a bathroom remodel. The bathroom is a 8x8 square. The toilet and shower are more or less next to each other. The plan is to drain the shower into the 3" toilet drain line using a short horizontal run and a reducing wye; I don't see any problem with that.

There is a stub wall between. the shower and toilet. Can the shower and toilet vents rise about 6" above the drain line, meet under the floor, and tee into a 2" vertical vent pipe that will run up the stub wall? Hope this question is clear... thanks for any/all advice.

best regards,

dw

Corvallis, Oregon

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

The way a plumber would do it would be for the vent to come up behind the toilet. The shower would be piped into a 2" side inlet Wisconsin/Cottage tee, (or whatever it is called in your region), so that it also used the toilet vent. The lavatory, if it was close to the toilet on the other side would be connected to a sanitary tee in the toilet vent.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Venting is the toughest part of this job and it is VERY unusual if someone (not a plumber) can lay this out correctly. It can be tough even when it is drawn out.
You will need to completely revise your plan. The toilet must be vented before you can wye in another fixture--you cannot connect another fixture to the line between a fixture's p-trap and its vent (called the trap arm).
HJ has given you (IMHO) the best way to run a bathroom group when it is small and the fixtures are in close enough proxcimity to not exceed trap arm maximums. Having enough vertical space can sometimes be a problem, though. If space requires that you take a horizontal vent off below the flood rim of the fixture, there are more rules yet. You cannot connect the vents below the floor. Vents should rise vertically and not be connected to other vents until they are 6" above the flood rim level of the highest fixture.
Deb
The Pipewench

dw

Reaction score
more on DWV venting

Thanks guys for the responses!

Here's what we ended up doing, I hope it's correct:

Starting at the toilet, Just past the closet bend, the 2" shower drain connects to the 3" toilet drain. The toilet is wet vented about 18 inches thru this shower drain, then up thru the lid and out the roof. The faucet is on the other side of the room and will join the vent above the cieling.

Does this sound OK?

cheers,

dw

dw

Reaction score
more DWV

dw said:
Thanks guys for the responses!

Here's what we ended up doing, I hope it's correct:

Starting at the toilet, Just past the closet bend, the 2" shower drain connects to the 3" toilet drain. The toilet is wet vented about 18 inches thru this shower drain, then up thru the lid and out the roof. The faucet is on the other side of the room and will join the vent above the cieling.

Does this sound OK?

cheers,

dw

I should have mentioned: this was a tricky situation, as the 1/2 of the bathroom that has the toilet and shower is over a cantilever, with concrete slab about 18" below (therefore toilet drain could not go straight down, back wall less than ideal for vent, etc). On the other side of the room (not cantilevered) is the unfinished basement, where the plumbing can be more conventional. Anyhow, I'm still interested in comments about this... I know it's not ideal, but I believe that the wet-vent as i've described it is OK to do in this situation? It was definitely difficult, but most of the DWV is roughed in at this point and it's looking good, I think.

Thanks again for the help,

dw

K

kathywhite

Starting at the toilet, Just past the closet bend, the 2" shower drain connects to the 3" toilet drain. The toilet is wet vented about 18 inches thru this shower drain, then up thru the lid and out the roof. The faucet is on the other side of the room and will join the vent above the cieling.. Well, I in the middle bathroom remodeling too but I am having bad time finding website that are related to this topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks