Bathroom Remodel Drain Layout and Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Marcus Jones

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom in my third floor bathroom that was installed circ. 1925. Currently it has only a sink and toilet. I am looking to move the toilet from the left wall to the right wall about 6' away. In line with the toilet I am going to add a bathtub. I plan to vent the toilet downstream at the drain pipe takeoff for the bathtub with 2" pipe. The bathtub and toilet would share the same vent. As the toilet is a horizontal line and I can't vent it vertically initially could this work as a "wet vent" as the bathtub drain will wash the pipe out. Is this an acceptable way of venting the toilet?

How should I take the connection off the 4" pipe downstream of the closet bend? 4" x 2" Y and 45 to wall and long 90 at the wall and again a Y-1/8 for the vent going up the wall with a long 90 towards the bathtub trap?

On the side where the toilet was I am going to add a double vanity (hence the need to move the toilet). As I am working on this I was also thinking of installing a Washing Machine outlet in the opposing closet to the double vanity. The pipe would vent to the attic and join with the toilet vent from the other side of the room.

Attached is a drawing for the toilet side and vanity side. Do these layouts adhere to IPC and UPC codes?

Should I plumb the double vanity with a double fixture (shown with the pipe crossed out) or individually. If I go with separate drains I can vent the wash standpipe take off and lav from one vent and vent the other lav individually.

Can the wash/lav drains also vent the toilet if the plumbing above for the toilet and tub isn't allowed? If it needs to be a vent do I need to increase the pipe size from 2" to 3"?

bathroom_remodel.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks