Bathroom remodel code question

Users who are viewing this thread

DanM

Reaction score
We are trying to find an electrician to help us with our bathroom project. The person I spoke with today seemed very knowledgeable, but mentioned a couple of things I have not heard yet. Our house was built in the 50's with bx wiring. He told me that the BX wiring powering the room cannot be reused. He says that we need a dedicated breaker and line to power the bathroom. Does this sound right? I will be calling the building Dept for their opinion, but I would appreciate your advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need a dedicated 20A circuit for the bathroom which must have a ground and the receptacle(s) in the room must be GFCI protected. Old BX generally does not include a ground wire, or if it did, it was a flat strand subject to being easily broken, and they rely on the metal sheath for the ground. OVer the years, it gets corroded, and is no longer a good ground. Modern BX uses different insulation and usually has a ground wire, and is okay for use in most places. Given the age of your install, the wire probably does not meet today's requirements.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks