Bathroom remodel advice

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Brian.Hoard, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Brian.Hoard

Brian.Hoard New Member

Hello,
    I have our small second story bathroom gutted down to the studs and am ready to build it back up.
    I removed the old 60" cast iron tub that was in there as it was from 1973 when the house was built.

The room is only 8'x5', and had a tub/shower toilet and sink. Now that I am starting over, what is the best quality to go with for the tub? I am using a Toto toilet, love those things. But as I read about bathtubs, I see about acrylic, cast iron, etc. It appears that definitely don't want fiberglass as I want to get the best quality surface that will last the longest so I won't be messing with this room for a very long time.

Any advice for what I should look for, or any specific brands that you would recommend? I'm of the mindset that buying good quality is actually the most inexpensive in the long run. So I don't mind paying premium prices for quality. I'm just not sure about any of this when it comes to tubs.

Thanks for any help.
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

You don't need steel or cast iron to have a quality tub. What is so important is that the tub is comfortable and has a base inside not prone to flexing.

Get in the tubs at the showroom. Lie down. Get comfy if you can, if you can't ....... NEXT!

JW
  3. John Bridge

John Bridge Mudmeister

Hi Brian,

The most durable and longest lasting tubs are cast iron. Unfortunately, they are also the heaviest. :)
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It's pretty tough to beat cast iron all right. They are a two man installation. You see them in old homes still being used.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The order of preference for me;
    1. Cast iron
    2. Americast
    3. Any plastic tub
    4. WAY DOWN THE LIST, in last place, enameled steel
    Once you get past #2 the customer has to buy the tub, because I will not guarantee it.