Bathroom Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

printer_ink

Reaction score
Hi,

For a few months, I've noticed that in one of my bathrooms when the tub spout or showerhead are turned on and running for awhile, water starts leaking from the back right corner of the tub onto the floor.

But as of a few days ago, the water now leaks into the hallway baseboard which is on the other side of the tub wall. I also noticed that the carpet in the bedroom that shares the left wall with this bathroom has a wet spot near the baseboard as well. However, I have not noticed a leak near the left side of the tub. Maybe because it is against the wall.

The water leak that I saw is in the caulked area in the right corner near where the back of the tub, bathroom wall, and baseboard meet. The leak only happens when the tub water is turned on. Also, I'd like to mention that I have been monitoring my water meter and the leak dectector is not moving.

What could be causing this leak? The caulking is in pretty bad shape and has been for awhile. Could that be the problem or something else?

Any input would be great appreciated...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Two possibilities, but the first thing I'd check is if the tub is sitting level. Check it for both L-R and F-B level along the rim. If not, water will tend to pool and maybe flow, always towards the low side. Ideally, if the tub is not defective AND it is installed correctly, it will drain into the tub, rather than off the edge.

THen, if that is all good, I'd look behind the tub 'wet' wall - the wall with the valve, shower head, and spout on it. One of those might leak while you are running water, or have water in the tub.

Ideally, when you put things together, the caulk is more of a cosmetic thing than something required to prevent leaks. But, if they were not installed properly, a poor caulk joint can let water you do not want it, and result in a leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks