Bathroom Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

printer_ink

Reaction score
Hi,

For a few months, I've noticed that in one of my bathrooms when the tub spout or showerhead are turned on and running for awhile, water starts leaking from the back right corner of the tub onto the floor.

But as of a few days ago, the water now leaks into the hallway baseboard which is on the other side of the tub wall. I also noticed that the carpet in the bedroom that shares the left wall with this bathroom has a wet spot near the baseboard as well. However, I have not noticed a leak near the left side of the tub. Maybe because it is against the wall.

The water leak that I saw is in the caulked area in the right corner near where the back of the tub, bathroom wall, and baseboard meet. The leak only happens when the tub water is turned on. Also, I'd like to mention that I have been monitoring my water meter and the leak dectector is not moving.

What could be causing this leak? The caulking is in pretty bad shape and has been for awhile. Could that be the problem or something else?

Any input would be great appreciated...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it only leaks when using the tub faucet, (since water should not be getting on the tub rim where there is caulking), then there is a leak somewhere between the valve and spout, but we would have to be there and test it to find out WHERE the leak is.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Open the access cover that is on the other side of the wall from the faucet and controls. Watch there.

If there is no access cover/port, make one.

printer_ink

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses...

So, I cut into the wall and it seems that the spout is leaking inside of the wall.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to repair this would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
That must be some big hole if the leak occurs when you are not diverting to the shower. When you pull up on the diverter control on the spout, if that is the kind of diverter that you have, I presume the leak gets much stronger.

Photo of leaking area?

Copper pipe? Galvanized? or what?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks