Bathroom paint

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Barry J, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Barry J

Barry J New Member

Looking for a good wall paint and ceiling paint for my bathroom that is mildew and mold proof. Last time I used the Zinser brand, put did white. This time I want white for the ceiling and a lighter blue or something for the walls.
    Thanks
    Barry
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Any paint store has an additive packet that you can mix into a gallon of paint for mildew resistance. Look for a 100% acrylic gloss or semigloss at any good paint store.

The best mildew preventive is ventilation. If you are sprucing up your bathroom, now might be a good time to address that. A small bathroom should have a minumum 100 cfm fan. The builders original might be half of that. For a modest $$investment, you can get plenty of CFM and also quieter. Look for maximum 1 sone.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

paint

How about checking with the paint store for their recommendations, since each manufacturer might have a different suggestion.
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Or a window that opens.
  5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Good Bathroom Paint.

There are many great bathroom paints out there. The key with any bathroom painting job is to give the walls and ceiling a good clean and sanding. Once the walls and ceilings are cleaned up - give them 2 coats of Zissner "Cover Stain" Yellow label.

I like Cloverdale Paint "Kitchen and Bath" line. Cloverdale is a Vancouver paint store but I'm sure your area has a good paint supplier and they will carry a kitchen and bath paint.

Two top coats and no hot showers or baths for 2 extra nights and you will have a rock solid paint job. Most top end paints require 48 hours to fully cure.

Good Luck
  6. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Best option is both.