Bathroom lighting plan

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by ktambascio, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ktambascio

ktambascio Software Engineer

Hi,

Building a new bathroom in our basement. It's 5'x9', with a 30" vanity, and a 3'x5' shower (tiled). I'm thinking about having some kind of wall-mounted light above the vanity/mirror, a recessed light in the middle (above the toilet), and a recessed (waterproofed) light above the shower. Also trying to figure out if it's best to put the vent fan in the shower area, or just in the middle of the room.

Since it's a basement, it's only a 7' ceiling (give or take an inch or two). I'm leaning towards some medium tile, not too dark or light. There will be one glass block window in the room for the only natural light. I will probably put all the lights on dimmers.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  2. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

What's the question? My bathroom is roughly the same size as yours with the same height ceiling. I put two 3" cans in the shower and 3 more in the bathroom itself. All use 50W GU10 bulbs. I have a box roughed in for a vanity light on the wall as well. With the 3 lights on its plenty bright but having the light on the wall will be nice for shaving, etc. The shower lights I need to put on a dimmer. They will be pretty harsh in the morning I think.

I think your plan of one can in the bathroom will either be too dim or look off symetrically or both, but I can't see your bathroom either.

The third light is just outside the frame here. I have two lights equally spaced in the shower of the center.
    [​IMG]
  3. ktambascio

Sorry....question was whether or not the lighting plan I suggested would be suitable or not. I was planning to use 6" recessed cans. I just remodeled my 10'x14' family room, putting in 6 6" recessed cans with 40 watt halogen bulbs. Plenty of light, but there's also a lot of windows in that room.

I've attached some pictures. Anything special about putting recessed lights in a shower other than using a waterproof lens cover?

Attached Files:

4. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

Not really. As long as they are listed suitable for damp locations they'll be fine. I and many others don't care for 6 inch cans because if you look up at them, they look like giant holes in the ceiling. For only a little bit more money, you can get smaller cans.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

lights

I cannot visualize a recessed can light giving more than a small limited cone of light if it is mounted in a 7' ceiling.
  6. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

I put the vent fan over the shower so the air would be pulled from the inlets and go through the shower area which is generating the moisture.
  7. ktambascio

hj: Yes, I might have that problem. I am putting two 5" cans in the shower, and I bought a vanity light. I'm going to wire it up and see how bright it is at night. if it's not enough light, I will add some additional smaller lights, because each light won't give me much coverage. Just going to have to try and see how it goes.