Bathroom layout, please check

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Finally decided on the bathroom layout, bought the new tub today. Here's the plan:

- this is a first floor bathroom, right now there is no ceiling in the basement, but we'd like to put one in later, so we want to keep the pipes out of the way as much as possible.
- the far left is an outside wall
- the bottom left hole is the approximate location of the stack in the basement

Questions:

1. Where should we put the sink? I know its a matter of preference, but what do most people want in a situation like this? Right now i'm thinking of putting it directly across from the toilet.

2. How should we run the drain lines so as to keep them up in the joists, make it easiest to finish basement, etc? I don't think i can run the bathtub drain through 4 or 5 joists that are 2x10s...

3. Is it possible to hide the ptrap from the tub up in the ceiling (between joists i mean, so we can finish basement ceiling), run the drain parallel with the joist, then dip below the joists and head towards the stack? Like this:

Let me know if that looks acceptable...thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Finally decided on the bathroom layout, bought the new tub today. Here's the plan:

- this is a first floor bathroom, right now there is no ceiling in the basement, but we'd like to put one in later, so we want to keep the pipes out of the way as much as possible.
- the far left is an outside wall
- the bottom left hole is the approximate location of the stack in the basement

Questions:

1. Where should we put the sink? I know its a matter of preference, but what do most people want in a situation like this? Right now i'm thinking of putting it directly across from the toilet.

2. How should we run the drain lines so as to keep them up in the joists, make it easiest to finish basement, etc? I don't think i can run the bathtub drain through 4 or 5 joists that are 2x10s...

3. Is it possible to hide the ptrap from the tub up in the ceiling (between joists i mean, so we can finish basement ceiling), run the drain parallel with the joist, then dip below the joists and head towards the stack? Like this:

Let me know if that looks acceptable...thanks...

Putting the sink across from the toilet look like your only option.

Are you going to end up with a MINIMIM of 30 inches to the FINISH walls for your toilet; must be 15in from center of the toilet to the nearest wall or fixture.

Running your tub the way you propose is o.k. but you will need a vent near the trap

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't know how you intend to make the connection at the stack, but the "tee" in the diagram isn't going to work.
All of the fixtures need a vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Laying out and installing a system like this is why plumbers get paid what they do to do it. There are too many variables for us to try to tell you how to do it, without actually seeing your situation, and then the second challenge is to hope you even do it that way. You have laid out a very convoluted piping system, and there may be NO WAY, to actually install what you have drawn, or to insure that you will not have drain problems after it is installed.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Putting the sink across from the toilet look like your only option.

Are you going to end up with a MINIMIM of 30 inches to the FINISH walls for your toilet; must be 15in from center of the toilet to the nearest wall or fixture.

Running your tub the way you propose is o.k. but you will need a vent near the trap

For the 30" space...this is how i figure. From stud to stud, its 96" now. So, 60" for the tub, then 3.5" for the 2x4, then .5" for drywall, then 31.5" for toilet area, then .5" for drywall. Gives me 96" exactly. Also, i have 1.5" that i can take away from the 31.5" if necessary...

I have 5 joists to go through for the bathtub drain, so my total drop is less than 1.5" (less than 6 ft total run). I can use a 2" drain, which is a 2.5" hole. The joists are just over 9", so the hole size is fine. If i start at 2" from the top, with a 1.5" drop, leaves me 3" from the bottom of the joist.

Oh, and its not a "T" for the stack at the wall, i can work out those exact details later, but my paint doesn't do 3D....i figure I'll use a couple of 45s from floor to get the stack against the wall, then a combo wye for the sink drain. then...i don't know...figure it out later...

So, would that be acceptable venting, assuming they all go up the walls into the attic and out the roof? Or would i have to run a vent up the wall from the top of the stack, even if all 3 fixtures are vented...

PS. My current stack has no vent, the toilet is not vented, the lav is, I'm not sure about the tub, haven't looked.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Laying out and installing a system like this is why plumbers get paid what they do to do it. There are too many variables for us to try to tell you how to do it, without actually seeing your situation, and then the second challenge is to hope you even do it that way. You have laid out a very convoluted piping system, and there may be NO WAY, to actually install what you have drawn, or to insure that you will not have drain problems after it is installed.

Honestly...this is a pretty plain bathroom. I mean, the joists run like i show, there's 4 walls, entire basement is open below, one hole in the floor the stack comes out of. Its not plumbed correctly now - the toilet actually sits on top of the stack and there is no vent. When it gets rearranged, i can correct all this.

Based on the drawing, what looks like the easiest way to set this up? I have full access to the basement and the attic above. I know it would be easier if you could "see" it in person...but its really not a complicated bathroom/building.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The problem IS that you cannot draw in 3D, which is the only way we could tell if what you have drawn can be done "legally". As shown in 2D, it can't be. The vents as shown are horizontal below the "overflow rim" of the fixtures, and the connection to the main stack is a "bullhead" fitting. When you "work it out" show us a revised drawing.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
The problem IS that you cannot draw in 3D, which is the only way we could tell if what you have drawn can be done "legally". As shown in 2D, it can't be. The vents as shown are horizontal below the "overflow rim" of the fixtures....

So this is illegal?

l_SCP_177_20.jpg

and this?

l_SCP_177_21.jpg

and this?

l_SCP_177_22.jpg

I can't vent the toilet and tub like any of those three?

And the sink is vented like normal...vent goes straight up the wall, the drain goes down the wall until its in the basement, then runs to the stack.

When i get a chance i'll draw some more pictures, this time from the vertical perspective, so you can check my work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks