Bathroom in the basement

Users who are viewing this thread

footbal9584

Reaction score
Hey all i am planning to install a bathroom in my basement and have been looking everywhere for information on how to do it. i have the main drain pipe for our upstairs bathroom a few feet of where i planning to install the toilet, shower and sink, do i still need a pump. thanks for any information you guys can give me

mike

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, does the drain pipe go down into the floor? If so, then no, you probably don't need a pump. If it exits to the sewer above the floor level, then yes, you do.

You need not only drain lines that can run 1/4" per foot down to the connection to the sewer line, but also vent lines to allow the drains to run properly without siphoning nearby drains out.

A little more info and maybe a picture would help.

footbal9584

Reaction score
Heres some pics

ok heres some pics go to the site and click both of them ones a pic of the drain and the other is a pic of my proposed plan for the bathroom

thanks mike

The pics

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

You most likely do not need a pump, but that cannot be determined for sure until you open the floor and see the depth of the line where it goes into the concrete--you need some depth to properly drain, trap, and vent the basement fixtures. n The vent will need to extend up and through the roof by itself or tie in with an existing vent above the flood rim level of the highest fixture. The existing stack cannot be used as the vent for the basement since it receives drainage from an upper floor.
I have to tell you that this is not a good first plumbing project for the DIY person. The tricky part of all this is getting the venting correct. I recommend that (at the very least), you hire a licensed plumber to lay this out for you, show you the correct fittings and where they must go, and have him/her check it after install (but before cover) to make sure that it is correct. If your area requires permits and inspections, do it.
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks