Bathroom group

Users who are viewing this thread

Shelly296

Reaction score
I have a bathroom group that has a toilet, single lavatory, and combo tub shower. The shower drain is less than 5 feet from the lav. I am planning on running the shower and lav with a 2 inch drain and the toilet will be a three inch line. The lav will have a two inch vent running through the roof. My question is how to run the wet vent. The 3 inch main waste pipe will run directly below the bathroom group in the crawl space, horizontally. The bathroom will be the first drains hooked into the line. So, does the lav wye in first then the tub/shower, then the toilet? After that will be the 2 inch washer drain, then the softener drain, then the kitchen sink (it has an AAV) then the 3 inch connects to the 4 inch pipe that goes to the grinder. I was thinking that the washer drain should be downstream of the bathroom. Just wondering if this is right.

Shelly

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The order of the "drains" is completely irrelevant. NO ONE arranges their sinks, toilets, and tubs so that they connect in some order, nor do we route the plumbing to make it happen that way. The shower being 5' from the lav is also meaningless, unless the piping is installed to take advantage of that someway. IT is like saying your table is 5' away from the refrigerator but the milk bottle on the table still spoils. EVERYTHING depends on HOW you install the piping, NOT were they are located.

Shelly296

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've heard the refrigerator line before. I thought that since the bath group was going to be wet vented through the lav, the drains needed to be run in a certain order for the vent to work correctly. I am having a plumber run the drainage lines and am trying to get some knowledge so I know that things are done correctly. And yes, it will be inspected by the county, but depending on the inspector, he probably won't even look in the crawl. I've learned the hard way to look out for myself. But, I do appreciate you, HJ, taking the time to reply. So, I guess that the lines do not matter in which order, including putting the washer drain downstream. I was worried about suds.

Shelly

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A bathroom group can be wet vented, but not a washer or kitchen.

You can wet vent the shower with the lav, keeping the waste up to the lav vent 2"
A lav trap arm can be 42" and the shower 60". If the wet vent is in between those two, you have some room to work with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks