Bathroom Floor material

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
Anybody have a recommendation for flooring material (besides tile) for a basement bathroom? (Shower/sink/toilet)

Any good laminate (ala Pergo) products that'll hold up?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are many laminate brands today which use a non-water-absorbent substrrate, and therefor are approved by the manufacturer for bathrooms.

Hard to top ceramic tile.

The old standby, sheet vinyl, can give you years of attractive and low-maintanence service. Spend a little more for a higher end product.

The only things I would not put in a bathroom are hardwood and 12X12 vinyl squares.

Prashster

Reaction score
Have done a little more research on this...

They make laminates with moisture resistant cores, but even they aren't meant for high water exposure.

The trick is to prevent water from getting to the core or underneath by glueing the tongues into the grooves instead of just locking them. Then, you're supposed to caulk the perimeter of the floating floor where it meets the wall.

I understand tile is better. But this is also a BASEMENT bathroom. Tile has to go on a fixed substrate. I've chosen a floating subfloor for warmth which can't accept tile directly; it has to be screwed to the slab and then a cement board would have to be fixed atop.

In the end, tile is just more work and more expensive. Laminate is so easy and affordable it's feasible to swap it out in a few years if I don't like it or it gets damaged.

Ironically, I'll probably go for a 'tile look' laminate.

As for cork, I have not heard that it fares better or worse than laminate in bathrooms. Will research...thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Today you can get a vinyl flooring which comes in 4" wide wood-look strips. A good compromise.

Prashster

Reaction score
I wonder if they sell laminate or vinyl tiles that look like concrete slab...wouldn't THAT be a fun waste of money?

How about holographic floor tiles that look like clouds and blue sky?

But the coolest would be laminate or tiles that look like water...They could call it the "Jesus Floor".

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
prashster said:
I wonder if they sell laminate or vinyl tiles that look like concrete slab...wouldn't THAT be a fun waste of money?

How about holographic floor tiles that look like clouds and blue sky?

But the coolest would be laminate or tiles that look like water...They could call it the "Jesus Floor".

Most bathrooms have floors that look like they're covered in water at least once in their life.

As long as we're discussing rediculous floors, clear glass anyone?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks