bathroom fan

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
I recently noticed dripping from my exhaust fan in my bathroom, it's starting to get cold outside, and probably in my attic...is this condensation or something else. It's too late now but tomorrow afternoon I will go up in my attic.
any suggestions or ideas
Thanks
Barry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably is condensation...is the ductwork insulated? If not, that will help.

citm2000

Reaction score
If you have an air handler in the attic, check to make sure the condensate lines are not clogged.

Beyond that, check for any other sources of moisture -- a roof leak, a clogged dryer vent, a leaking pipe, etc.

If it only happens after a shower/bath, it could just be that the cold attic is cooling the fan itself enough to cause condensation to form in or around it from the moisture in the air.

Barry J

Reaction score
my first guess was the condensation that buildt up on the tubing. It's a corrugated type tubing , not the solid steel type. What should I use for insulation??
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While a little more of a pain to use, solid ducting is better. The corregations slow the air flow down and increase the surface area allowing the moist hot air to cool enough to condense in the cooler months. Depending on how it is run, sometimes I'll just lay a batt of wall insulation over the duct. If that isn't possible, a HVAC supply place would have add-on insulation or you could get some bubble wrap like stuff at a big box store.

citm2000

Reaction score
I didn't know there was ductwork. All of mine just vent into the space, except for the one on the first floor which goes out through the outside wall. My experience with the corrugated stuff is that, not only does it slow air-flow giving it time to cool, but also allows small puddles to form. That can cause drips, rust, mold, etc.

Barry J

Reaction score
Think I should takes the flexible stuff out and go with the solid sheet metal stuff???
How difficult is that to install.??? The fan is only a little ways away from the roof vent, probably guessing like 3 feet or so. or should I just throw some insulation around the flexible stuff I have??
Barry

chad4290

Reaction score
if it hasn't been raining then yeah i would suggest condensation. insulation should do it. you could shorten up the length of the venting material with pvc if possible. steel would be worse not better. wrap it up good and once you get up there and start digging around you should see where and how long it has been leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks