bathroom exhaust fan

Users who are viewing this thread

pkj

Reaction score
anyone have a recommendation on a bathroom exhaust fan with a heater, i know there are ones with bulbs and fans, i have approx 45 sq ft and its a basement bathroom. i'm considering a broan 162 (bulb heat) or 655 (fan heat)????

i have researched the exhaust fans, my question is: i'm looking for supplemental heat (basement bathroom)...and was wondering if an exhaust fan with heat wood do the trick...radiant heat flooring will work but is spendy....that doesnt fit in my budget unless a fan with heater wont work....help please??!!!

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note the sone level of the fan...some of those things sound like a plane taking off. Panasonic makes some very quiet fans. If you have the room, also consider a remote fan. Then, make sure you have a pilot light to remind you that it is on, because you just may not hear it run.

pkj

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Note the sone level of the fan...some of those things sound like a plane taking off. Panasonic makes some very quiet fans. If you have the room, also consider a remote fan. Then, make sure you have a pilot light to remind you that it is on, because you just may not hear it run.

not to be bitchy but did you read my question?????

Sulconst2

Reaction score
nu heat electric floor mats are decent. its only supplemental heat but at least it would cut the cold from the slab. then tap a small supply line from the trunk line, assuming you have forced air. finish off with a panasonic fan/light.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, and as noted I'm not a pro...I was pointing out several (to most people) useful things about fans. A noisey fan can be a pain to live with for years. It is important to do two things...if it is so noisey you don't use it, it is a waste of money, and there are a couple of ways to manage that.

You could put in a lamp fixture just rated for heat, too, separate from the fan unit. Many people have been very satisfied with Panasonic. I don't know their product line, but did you even consider looking to see if they make a unit that does what you want?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
pkj said:
not to be bitchy but did you read my question?????

This is the second member in this community forum with less than 5 posts complaining about the replies they are getting. Did you ever happen to think that the members/moderators of this site give their free time to help others WITHOUT reward or pay? Shame on you. That is a selfish way to look at what good intentions come your way. Jadnashua is giving good advice and you're dismissing it.

There is nothing worse than a loud bath fan and it is a good point taken. A good vent fan starts around 100 CFM's and up. But I'm sure you see something wrong with my "free" reply as well. :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
JD,

Panasonic has a fan with heat, but it does cost more than the heat lamps.

The Panasonic would be quieter for sure, and it's what you or I would consider.
I just bought a used home and the fan in the master is killing me. I have a new panasonic in a box that needs to leave the box and jump up into the attic, like real quick.

Most heat lamp fans are quite noisey. Not everybody cares.

pkj

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
This is the second member in this community forum with less than 5 posts complaining about the replies they are getting. Did you ever happen to think that the members/moderators of this site give their free time to help others WITHOUT reward or pay? Shame on you. That is a selfish way to look at what good intentions come your way. Jadnashua is giving good advice and you're dismissing it.

There is nothing worse than a loud bath fan and it is a good point taken. A good vent fan starts around 100 CFM's and up. But I'm sure you see something wrong with my "free" reply as well. :confused:

i was specific in my question regarding heat/fan...i am aware of the CFM's and sones...i did my homework on that...they just didnt provide enough info on the "heat" part of it....thanks for all your adivse though. :p

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
PKJ: Not to be bitchy, but you posted this question twice on this BBS, once here and once under the remodel forum. Who knows how what other BBS you have posted on. Nothing wrong with seeking lots of advice; that's why these forums are here. SO, several people took the time to provide thoughtful answers...twice. We hope the advice was helpful.

I congratulate you on having done homework. Not everyone does, and one of the biggest complaints we hear about is bath fans that are too loud. Often this is not discovered until too late. So, JAD was just putting forward a very common-sense piece of advice.

I think it has been mentioned twice now that ceiling heat units are the third most effective, with wall heaters being second, and in-floor being the best but more costly and difficult to install. As far as ceiling mounted units, you have already been to the Broan/Nutone website or catalogs. They make the majority of units sold these days. Terry offered that the Panasonics are very quiet, and are also much in demand for that very reason. All the info is available on the web. The basic rule is that the more watts on the heater and the more CFM on the heat-side fan, the warmer the room will be. This again leaves you to select between units with different sone ratings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks