Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Users who are viewing this thread

pensfan84

Reaction score
So I am remodeling my bathroom and I was wondering where the best spot to place the exhaust fan vent would be. The bathroom is on the first floor and going through the roof, while difficult, is an option. This route, however, is going to be at least 15' straight up. Easiest placement would be to put a hole in the side of the house and get the appropriate vent cap for the outside.

What do you guys think?

Also, there is a window on the exterior wall of this bathroom. I'm sure as with any vent you want to keep this as far away from the window as possible, right?

Hube

Reaction score
Going out the side wall would be ideal with the proper wallcap, as long as no more than 2 90 degree elbows are involved. The wall cap should terminate AT LEAST 3 ft from the window.

If more than 2 elbows are involved in the WALL installation, then by going up (no elbows) and going thru the ROOF,you would be a lot better off.
15 ft STRAIGHT up is no problem, but as soon as any elbows are involved then it can lower the exiting exhaust airflow considerably.

Hube

Reaction score
Pensfan84; Going up 15' using only 2- 45 's should be ok.
I assume this fan takes a 4" or a 5" pipe size.
Also make sure if going thru the roof you install the proper flashing and 'back draft' (flapper) at the terminating point.
Note; you also may want to wrap some insulation around any exposed piping that enters into any attic area to avoid any sweating (condensation) that may occur due to the temperature difference within.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks