Bathroom and Closet Wiring

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by nelsonba, Nov 6, 2007.

1. nelsonba

nelsonba New Member

I'm creating a new bathroom and closet. What is the best way to run circuits for this?

I plan to have the following...

Bathroom:
    GFCI Outlet
    Two Sconces for lighting
    Vent Fan
    120V electric heater with line voltage thermostat

Closet:
    Closet light

Existing Bedroom adjacent to Closet:
    Two Outlets

Can I do this to code with two circuits or do I need three?
  2. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

You can use existing circuit for the lighting but need to run new circuits for heater and GFCI outlet.

Wait....BR outlets must be on AFCI so.....maybe 3 unless you change the existing BR circuit to AFCI
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  3. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

But you could run the closet off the new bedroom circuit, couldn't you? For 2?
  4. nelsonba

nelsonba New Member

Let me add a little more color

My house is old... 1931. Right now the entire 2nd floor (two bedrooms, and a landing area), a 1st floor bedrooom, hallway light, 1st floor bathroom light and fan are all on one 15 amp circuit. Might not be a bad idea to switch the breaker to AFCI.

I'm sure this is too much by today's standards... or is it?
  5. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Yeah, it's called "grandfathering" - code changes don't force you to upgrade old wiring, it only affect what gets done after the code change.

So as long as you don't change anything, your wiring just has to meet what was code when it was put in.

But if you do change anything, like add a circuit, the new part has to be code-compliant to today's standards.

A lot of apartments in NYC are still running off a single 20 amp fuse.
  6. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

What about the heater??? I am assuming it needs a circuit.