Bath Tub/Shower Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

anywho

Reaction score
:) I need someone to tell me where to find a how to install a bathtub/shower unit in my home. I know about the plumbing, but nothing about the installation of a fiberglass tub/shower unit. What do I put the tub on to secure the floor of the tub? Do I mortar the inside of the tube with the plumbing in place, do I use a foam? I have no idea!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There should have been instructions with the tub. If not, then go to the manufacturer's website and check it out. Usually, it is attached at the edges to the studs and just sits there. It is much better to set the fiberglass tub in some wet sand mix mortar to fill in the nooks and crannies underneath it. This keeps the bottom from flexing. Don't walk around In the thing until the mortar sets - make sure that it sets level in left-right and in-out, or it won't drain properly. My unprofessional experience...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Be aware that "one-piece" units need to be installed in place BEFORE the walls of the bathroom are constructed. In a replacement situation, it is almost always necessary to use a 2 piece or multiple-piece unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks