Bath Tub/Shower Installation

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by anywho, Apr 28, 2005.

1. anywho

anywho New Member

:) I need someone to tell me where to find a how to install a bathtub/shower unit in my home. I know about the plumbing, but nothing about the installation of a fiberglass tub/shower unit. What do I put the tub on to secure the floor of the tub? Do I mortar the inside of the tube with the plumbing in place, do I use a foam? I have no idea!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There should have been instructions with the tub. If not, then go to the manufacturer's website and check it out. Usually, it is attached at the edges to the studs and just sits there. It is much better to set the fiberglass tub in some wet sand mix mortar to fill in the nooks and crannies underneath it. This keeps the bottom from flexing. Don't walk around In the thing until the mortar sets - make sure that it sets level in left-right and in-out, or it won't drain properly. My unprofessional experience...
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Be aware that "one-piece" units need to be installed in place BEFORE the walls of the bathroom are constructed. In a replacement situation, it is almost always necessary to use a 2 piece or multiple-piece unit.