Bath tub help

Users who are viewing this thread

johnathan

Reaction score
Just bought a house with a bathroon that was in the process of rebuild. All plumbing and drainage pipes are installed, with a new tub. The previous owner put in a new tub with hardibacker all around with all edges covered with tape and thin set. I thought I was all set for tiling. Unfortunately he did not come all the way down covering the tub lip. He stopped hardibacker about 1/2 inch above tub lip. What do you suggest?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did he install a vapor barrier behind the Hardiebacker? Functionally, a gap above the tub tiling flange is not a major problem, if at all. If at least 50% of the tile you are using will be attached to the CBU, you should be fine. But, the vapor barrier should be behind the cbu and come down and overlap the tiling flange.

If you want to waterproof the surface, then there are other ways to finish things up, and then, when using a surface waterproofing, you would not want a vapor barrier behind it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks