Bath Spout Diverter Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
I have a simple chrome slip on diverter spout in the bathtub. The old one (over 15 years old) started leaking and I picked up a replacement at the local hardware store. But the copper nipple extends less than 1 inch from the tile, which is insufficient for the replacement spout. As near as I can tell from looking this stuff up on the Internet, I should have about 1.5 inches from the wall to the end of the copper pipe.

Are there any spouts out there that would work with a short copper nipple, or can I use some kind of fitting that will work?

SAS

Reaction score
Fixed It!

Just in case someone else has the same problem, here's what worked for me (after a few failed attempts at other solutions). I put a compression fitting with a female 1/2" adapter onto the copper pipe stub. I added a 2.5" nipple and used a 4" diverter spout with the female threads at the front.

Obviously someone adept at sweating copper fittings could have extended the stub and soldiered a threaded fitting at the 4" mark instead of using the compression fitting and nipple.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks