Bath/Shower Faucet Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron Spaeth

Reaction score
Hello-
We recently had a new 3 handle 1 spray tub and shower faucet installed.
After the man finished he showed my wife that it was "touchy". (I was not home during the install)
Now the only way to shut the water off is to turn the diverter knob so it is exactly half way between the shower side and the tub side. The actual hot and cold water handles do not shut the water off if the diverter knob is fully in the shower or tub position.
Has anyone ever heard of this? I can't believe it is correct.
Granted the faucet is a cheapy (we were looking for a short term replacement until we get the full bathroom remodel done), but I have never heard of the knobs not turning the water on and off.
Thanks for any input.
-Ron

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the setup...the diverter is often not the on/off valve, so it needing an on/off function is immaterial. Most valves require an on/off valve after the mixing valve.

WHat valve(s) do you have.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
My guess is he left something out like the seats or the seat washers or something like that. This is what causes cross-flow of hot into the cold or cold into the hot water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Trying to use a diverter valve as pressure on/off supply valve usually won't work...it's designed to move water to one of two places, and as a result, it has not designed to turn off the water to both outlets at the same time.

Really need to know what valve(s) were used to figure out the real problem. Sounds like the guy is not a licensed plumber, or it would be working right!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The midpoint of a diverter should ONLY let water flow to BOTH the spout and head, NOT "turn" them off. There is also NO WAY a properly installed faucet would NOT turn off the hot and cold water using the handles, unless he SERIOUSLY misinstalled them, and that would he hard to do with a "3 handle faucet" with separate hot and cold handles. IF it were a single handle faucet, installing it sideways would do something like you describe. Operating the faucet the way you describe is going to "mess up" your hot and cold water at ALL the other faucets.

Ron Spaeth

Reaction score
Thanks for reassuring me - I thought I was going crazy. The brand is Glacier Bay (Home Depot's crappy brand) and the plumber was contracted through Home Depot.
He is returning today (I was hoping for a different guy) so I will let you know what happens.

Ron Spaeth

Reaction score
Update....
The guy today said, yes, it was installed incorrectly! Nice! Anyway, he said the printed instructions were no help but he was able to figure it out.
I appreciate the input from you all -
Thanks,
-Ron

Reaction score
This experience was a great example of why people SHOULD use contractors from big box stores, if they don't have their own trusted referral.

Big box stores take complaints when you go to their renovations desks in the store to complain.

Big box contractors won't stop coming until you are satisfied.

Did you know: Big box contractors don't get paid when something goes wrong? A lot of contractors don't like to get jobs from big box stores because the pay can be too low and too many "rules". Contractors hold the shorter end of the stick, but this is better for the consumer.

Consider how this scenario would have played out for the homeowner, if this was otherwise? They would have to pay out of their own pocket once again to get the 2nd guy there to do it right. And would have wasted so much time trying to get the 1st guy to come back, if ever.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; This experience was a great example of why people SHOULD use contractors from big box stores

YEah. Using a "big box" contractor is WHY it happened in the first place. A reputable contractor would have done it correctly the FIRST time and should NOT have needed a "picture book" to learn how to install it.

Reaction score
Using a "big box" contractor is WHY it happened in the first place.
The Big box stores will fix it. A "contractor" may or may not, and will usually put up a big fight. The horror stories from members here in the forum show similiar.

A reputable contractor would have done it correctly the FIRST time
As I said, not everyone has their own trusted referral. It's not worth the risk the first for a new homeowner to try a yellow pages referral. A big box store acts as a protection buffer to the client to guarantee finished work. A client that works directly with a "contractor" has no protection, other than self-legal battles.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The big box contractors are on a "lowest price" option, NOT a "highest quality at any price". AND, in order to make a profit, usually have to hit you with "unforeseen" additional costs.

Ron Spaeth

Reaction score
It is interesting and I see both sides. Obviously, if a homeowner has someone they can trust then that's the way to go. The big box option did provide us with recourse and it was taken care of at no additional cost. It took a week, but this is only because we didn't want to take any more time off work and that was the next day we were available.
I was surprised that the contractors were not familiar with the Home Depot product. I would assume if anyone would be, it would be the contractors hired by Home Depot.
Thanks again for your input and advice.
-Ron

Reaction score
The big box option did provide us with recourse and it was taken care of at no additional cost.
Every day there is at least one post in the forums here with someone getting screwed beyond belief. You should read some of them and take pleasure that this did not happen to you because you made the best decision for your home.

Big box contractors give homeowners a peace of mind without the fear of taking a risk on someone they can't completely trust, and the burden of being stuck with the work they got.

Just so you know, the first guy that came to your home did not get paid. HD terms and conditions against contractors are strict to favor HD and the client. This leads to a lot of unhappy contractors that quit, but that is the way HD punishes contractors.

I ran into a fella in my industry that did heat pump installations for Sears Home Services for a whole summer season, and didn't get paid because of "customer problems". Last I heard, he is still trying to sue Sears for the $50K owed.

Ron Spaeth

Reaction score
Every day there is at least one post in the forums here with someone getting screwed beyond belief. You should read some of them and take pleasure that this did not happen to you because you made the best decision for your home.

Big box contractors give homeowners a peace of mind without the fear of taking a risk on someone they can't completely trust, and the burden of being stuck with the work they got.

Just so you know, the first guy that came to your home did not get paid. HD terms and conditions against contractors are strict to favor HD and the client. This leads to a lot of unhappy contractors that quit, but that is the way HD punishes contractors.

I ran into a fella in my industry that did heat pump installations for Sears Home Services for a whole summer season, and didn't get paid because of "customer problems". Last I heard, he is still trying to sue Sears for the $50K owed.
Yeah, I have no idea about the payment. I do know that the second guy who came out was with the same contractor as the first guy. I assume they were paid for just the one visit. We wrote the check to HD and that was that.
Thanks for your advice. - Now I need a roofing contractor!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, StandardAire is going to tell you to contract with Home Depot. I wonder how he gets any business if he tells everyone that HD is the best way to go, unless ALL of his business comes from HD.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks