Bath/shower faucet cant' be installed on centerline

Users who are viewing this thread

bradak

Reaction score
I'm replacing a surface mount bath/shower two tap faucet with a delta single lever faucet. Problem is there is a 3" copper drain line in the wall right where the rough in housing should go. There are two apartments below sharing the drain. I can only assume the copper pipe continues up to the roof and vents. Would it be bad aesthetics to mount the rough in off to the side two or three inches? I'm thinking to the right (towards tub outer edge) The Multichoice rough in valve is 2-3/4" deep.

Original Faucet
2874876196_0160213c4e.jpg

Behind the wall
2874056469_ac3f30c7bb_b.jpg

Thanks for your input,
Brad

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

IT will be odd aesthetics, but usually if you move it far enough off center to show that it was intentional and not just a poor installation, you can get away with it.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
You could always offset the valve and then offset a sliding hand shower bar to make the installation look like it was planned that way. Or, unless you were dead set on having a bathtub, you could fur out the wall and put in a 4' wide shower pan.

You certainly have your hands full there to make things finish nicely!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On my tub, there's a pocket door and an air duct behind the wet wall, so I didn't want to have to get into there for any future work. I chose (a fairly expensive, but nice) surface mounted tub/shower/spout surface mounted fixture from Grohe. Other companies make similar things. This, as implied, combines the valves and the spout with an outlet for a hand shower hose (integrated divertor). The only thing going into the wall is the hot and cold water supplies terminated in a typical drop-earred el threaded fitting. Since the whole thing is supported by the threaded fittings and a compression trim collar on the outside of the finished wall, you have to make sure the in-wall fittings are well anchored. But, other than that, it's fairly easy to install as long as the supply fittings are the proper width (it does accept a range - the fittings that screw into the wall have an L-shape, so you can make accommodation for some variance from the nominal width).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks