Bath rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

rdcusmc

Reaction score
How's this look? Toilet, shower and sink drain. Shower and sink on 2 inch common wet vented to the stack before the 3 inch toilet drain.

Will fine tune support straps prior to gluing this up. Anyone see any problems prior to applying glue???

Thanks in advance!

Ron

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38986041@N07/sets/72157618992774175/

rdcusmc

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
With your elevation change prior to the lavatory I think you need to add a vent for your toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

The toilet and shower are NOT vented, at least not vented properly, and I doubt that few inspectors would approve that offset shower drain, OR the notches in the bottom of the joists, especially since NEITHER of them was necessary.

Last edited:

rdcusmc

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. As for the notch, the joists are 2x10 on 12 inch centers and cross-braced - no worries on weakening the floor or pipe clearances to allow for movement.

As for the layout, I read an earlier post by Terry stating this layout worked as long as the shower/lav connected downstream of the toilet. If this is not correct, will adding the toilet vent make this workable?

Thanks,
Ron

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

You must have missed the part where the vents have to be within a specific distance from the shower trap, and the toilet opening, and both of these are too far away in your design. Adding a toilet vent would not help the shower either. Regardless of the joist size and spacing, neither notch was necessary if the piping had been arranged differently.

rdcusmc

Reaction score
Maybe I read the wrong info. My understanding was that the shower and toilet were OK as long as they were within 5' of the main which they are (exactly 4' distance).

I can easily add a common vent to connect the shower and toilet run back up through the wall and connect over to the vent stack above the lav. Would this work?

Thanks again!
Ron

GutJob598

Reaction score
Why not head off the floor joists rather than notching them?? Incredibly simple to do with some joist hangers. You've basically made the joists with the notches into 2x6s. I'm pretty sure a 2x6 wouldn't cut it for the span you have there.

Your house won't fall down, but notching like that isn't right.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the offsets to your lav, I'll look at it further. Your shower is served by a running trap, the trap for the shower needs to be at the drain. If your lav is ok and properly vented then that can vent the shower, with the relocated trap. I still think you'll need an individual vent for your toilet due to elevation change.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks