Bath remodel

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Rich B, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

I am remodeling a bathroom and was going to try and install a Sterling Accord bathtub/shower wall set. My problem is I have a window that is centered at the back wall. Cutting the back wall surround panel and getting it attached to the wall framing and sealed around that window is my problem. If I can't make this work I have to completely change the plan here and go to a seperate tub and tile and that is considerably more cost and labor. Has anyone done this and made it work?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The Sterling Accord series covers many models. Is the item you are planning on a one piece unit, or a 3+ piece glue up wall set, or a direct-to-stud wall set?

Glue up walls can be cut to fit around a window, if there it does not have details like shelves or towel bars in the way.
  3. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

Jimbo...the Sterling Accord is a 3 piece tub surround and the walls kind of snap into the tub and fit together and are attached to the walls with screws and clips.....no glue. Kohler has a nice website that shows how to install one on bare framed studs. Cost and ease of install make it very attractive for the house I have. You can watch the install video here.....

http://www.kohler.com/video/index.jsp?bcpid=980289890&bclid=1078589552&bctid=403534563
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Trimming around a window in any shower is always tough. See if you can get any help from the manufactuer. My guess is cutting it would void any possible warranty, and could result in cracks radiating from the corners of the hole. Waterproofing would be a major pain, as well. If the window is not vinal, then I dont' think I'd even consider it. If there's going to be a window in a shower, my preference is to make it with glass block. At least then, you have a good chance to make it all waterproof.

There are a lot of tile choices, and if you can do the work yourself, there are some inexpensive tile out there. For help with tile, check out www.johnbridge.com.
  5. Rich B

Rich B DIY Senior Member

Yes jadnashua I agree with your post 100%. I can tile and actually did this bathroom when I bought this house in the early 70's! It is a 5x8 so it's really no big deal to do but I was looking to do it again faster and less expensive for all the materials and the Sterling stuff looks better than the real cheap plastic....well a little better anyway.....