Bath remodel recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

valkyrie_grrl

Reaction score
I am planning to remodel my seriously outdated bathroom. The bathtub/shower area is currently ceramic tile with a half wall opposite the side with the shower/tub fixtures. This side has a piece of glass held in by almuminum, which we will be removing. The current ceramic tile that is old with noticeable repairs, but the walls, etc. are sound. I don't have any tiling experience, so I feel more comfortable using a prefab shower surround.

I am considering putting a shower surround over the tiles without removing them. Has anyone done this with success? Also, I'm wondering if I will be able to cut one of the surround walls in order to accomodate a half wall on one side of the shower area or if this will end up letting in a lot of excess moisture. I am considering using glass block to fill the area that currently has aluminum/glass.

Thanks in advance,
Angie

valkyrie_grrl@yahoo.com

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, most manufacurers of acrylic of fibreglass surrounds do not recommend putting them over tile, for various reason.

Second, surrounds are somewhat of an entry-level product. Look pretty good, have to be careful with cleaning products, could give 10 to 15 years of service if carefully maintained. I like to think of a bathroom remodel as a project with a 25 year lifespan. Ceramic tile is a lot more labor, but if you do the work yourself, the $$ cost in materials is similar to a surround product. Any of the home stores have frequent classes on how to do tile. It is something which I do feel is DIY friendly. Just keep asking lots of questions. You will want to get good advice on how to waterproof behind the tile , and especially the cap of that stub wall which will have the glass blocks on it. Visit the tile forum www.johnbridge.com for excellent help in these areas.

JULIE23

Reaction score
Hi:

I am currently redoing my OUTDATED bathroom and trust me you do not want to cover up any old tile with somethin new. I started my project not day too soon. Perfectly good tile (or so I thought) was rotted major under the tile with black mold etc. Take it all down to the studs. The deeper you dig the more you will see on what needs to be replaced.

This has been my experience. Tile is NOT water proof it leaks and you will be shocked to see what is under there. Ewe!

valkyrie_grrl

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I am hacking things up in there right now. All the tile is down now, so it's on to bigger and better things.

Hopefully it's gorgeous when I'm done, but now it looks seriously scary. Ha, ha, ha. :)

Thanks again!!!!

Angie

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks