Bath Group rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Does this look correct? As I understand it I can wet vent a single bath group through a 2".

If it makes any difference (or if it's a good idea) I can very easily continue the 3" back to where the shower wye connects in.

bathroom_rough_in.jpg

bathroom_rough_in_3.jpg

Last edited:

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Added another pic with some dimensions. This is quite a large bathroom. Ontario, Canada for code requirements. Another note, I'll use a 3-3-2 santee for the vent connection. Didn't have one handy in Sketchup.

Yes, no, maybe (with this added)??

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need to look up your code requirement for distance allowed between a trap and it's vent. Here, I would not be allowed more than 8' on a 2" drain.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trap to vent distances are way off what is allowed and if the closet fitting is a 3 x 2 heel inlet or even a 3" san tee with a 3 x 2 reducer its not allowed either.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The entire length of the horizontal wet vent must be taken into account when considering the distance. Think about how a wet vent works. In 8 feet at 1/4" per foot, the grade has dropped 2". Any longer than this with a 2" pipe and you have problems. A 6 foot developed length would be reasonable.

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the input. HJ, this is under 2x10 floor joists so I have some leeway. The joists run parallel to the run from the closet flange to the shower wye.

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Version 2. I think this will work and I might even be able to safely reduce the venting and drain to 1.5" upstream of the shower drain connection and vent. The only thing I'm concerned about is the spacing from the stack to the closet flange. I hope I have room for these fittings to maintain a 12" rough-in. The stack is cast iron with a stub of 3" copper. I was planning on a fernco to transition from copper to ABS.

What do you think? I really appreciate the help - thank you.

Scott

bathroom_rough_in_4.jpg

bathroom_rough_in_5.jpg

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Does that latest layout look like it will work? The more I think about it the more I think the shower vent might have to move to either the shower trap arm or just upstream of the wye connection to the horizontal drain line. I think I have a few inches of wet vent there that would technically be incorrect.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Put the vent take off in the shower's trap arm. You can change the angle of the drain in relation to the main line so that the vent take-off comes up vertically into a wall.

I think I would use a side inlet sanitary tee on the vertical stack instead of the wye in the WC drain.

Last edited:

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
Thank you cacher_chick. I wish I could decide what fitting to use on the vertical stack but it's cast iron including the santee and it is quite inaccessible. I looked up that side inlet fitting and that *would* be perfect though.

I think at this point I can reduce the blue pipe indicated to 1.5" correct?

bathroom_rough_in_6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks