Bath cold water knob is seizing up

Users who are viewing this thread

Sarah Phillips

Reaction score
Hi guys, the seizing of my cold water bathroom sink knob started to slower get harder to turn and now is has almost completely seized up. I believe I need to turn the cold water off and remove the faucet knob and clean it with vinegar to clean out the mineral build up. That I believe is my first step but cannot seem to remove the the cap to expose the screw to begin to dissemble. Can someone take a look at the model of faucet and let me know how best to to remove the cap to gain access to the screw head? See photos attached. The house was built in 1962 and this could be the original faucet. Please advise. Thanks, Sarah

Attachments

• bath faucet.jpg
    bath faucet.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 195
  • closeup cold tap.jpg
    closeup cold tap.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 191

Sarah Phillips

Reaction score
The sharp point of a knife will pop the insert off so you can get to the screw.

thanks for your help. The knife worked. I have removed the cold sink knob and see that the stem is frozen. What is the best way to free up the stem? See attached photo of the stem. Thanks, Sarah

Attachments

• faucet_2.jpg
    faucet_2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 148

Asktom

Reaction score
You have a ceramic disc cartridge that is probably full of mineral deposits. Sometimes you can bring them back to life by soaking them in vinegar (or CLR or similar) . This nothing one would want to pay a plumber to do, but is a cheap possible fix for a DIYer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks