Basic Wifi Thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have a simple hydronic Gas furnace. The thermostat is 2 wire type. Simply connect the circuit. No cooling. I am looking for the most basic wifi thermostat to allow me to watch/program from outside my residence. Any suggestions?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Honeywell would be a good choice. You can search for a cheap one at a BB store near you.

Honeywell may even be safe enough for use on the Internet.

Don't piss off your hacker neighbor, or he/she may drive you nuts. :eek:

Good Luck.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try searching on Honeywell RTH6580WF "c wire". That is not the brand that I have, but it seems to be be good value. I would upgrade to the one that displays the humidity myself, but you do not need it.

You will need to have a C wire to power the thermostat unless you get a separate power transformer, which you would rather not do. If your thermostat cable has more than 2 wires, you can wire the C wire yourself at your boiler controls where the other wires connect. There is a lot of discussions of C wire.

Reach4

Reaction score
Wall is open so I can run a new wire for the Common. But after reading the manuals for these honeywell's I do not know which the other 2 should connect to for the zone valve.
Zone valve??? Each zone has it's own thermostat, right?
I have a simple hydronic Gas furnace. The thermostat is 2 wire type.
OK... On the new thermostat which controls one zone I presume, I think you will use W, RH and C. There will be a lot of unused terminals.

Some thermostats have a terminal that activates if the temperature is more than a couple degrees cooler than the setting. You could maybe use that somehow to kick the boiler to a higher temperature or some such action. But if you are simply replacing a 2-wire thermostat, I think you would connect the existing wires to W and RH (red wire often), and add C.

Last edited:

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Zone valve??? Each zone has it's own thermostat, right?

OK... On the new thermostat which controls one zone I presume, I think you will use W, RH and C. There will be a lot of unused terminals.

Some thermostats have a terminal that activates if the temperature is more than a couple degrees cooler than the setting. You could maybe use that somehow to kick the boiler to a higher temperature or some such action. But if you are simply replacing a 2-wire thermostat, I think you would connect the existing wires to W and RH (red wire often), and add C.

Yes the thermostat controls one hydronic zone. I think this is what I am after. I will give it a try.

JerryR

Reaction score
I have a simple hydronic Gas furnace. The thermostat is 2 wire type. Simply connect the circuit. No cooling. I am looking for the most basic wifi thermostat to allow me to watch/program from outside my residence. Any suggestions?

Ive had excellent results with
Not bad for about $100. I had two homes with them and subscribed of their optional service that logged usage graphically.

One very nice feature of the CT50 is you can custom set the temperature swing between 0.5-2.0 degrees.

My new home is a 3 zone AC system and uses Honeywell communicating CTK03 thermostats connected via Honeywell Redlink gateway. It is a 3 zone system with 3 CTK03 thermostats. They have a prettier user interface and iPhone app than the Radiothermostat versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks