Basic questions about Zoeller pumps and installation

Users who are viewing this thread

wwtma

Reaction score
My apologies for these really basic questions:
1. I think I want to replace the cheapo primary pump that our builder installed with a Zoeller, and am thinking that a separate switch plus N53 (non-automatic) would make it simplest to replace the switch when it fails. If I understand correctly, what I need is a piggyback switch that I can just plug the pump into, correct? If so, does it matter whether the switch is pump up vs. pump down? If it does, which do I need to get?
2. Also, any recommendations between types or brands of switches? I think I've read somewhere about SJE Rhombus VerticalMaster switches being good -- are they better than Zoeller or other switches?
3. How does the discharge pipe get attached to the pump? The installation instructions don't mention anything about it. Is there some kind of compression fitting, or threaded PVC pipe?
4. On a different note, would 2 N53s fit in an 18" sump pit? I'm considering using a second N53 as a backup, and tying it to a 1500W battery-powered DC/AC inverter to deal with pump/switch/power failures. Any reason that's a bad idea?

Thanks!

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
An N-53 with an SJE Rhombus vertical master is an excellent combination. I personally use this switch with Hydromatic pumps. Connection to pump is easy with a PVC adapter (1.5 inch threaded male/1.5 inch smooth female end)...can be found at any hardware store. A second N-53 powered by an inverter is OK if you are there, but my backup system is one designed for 12v DC operation (Zoeller Aquanot II). An AC powered pump using an inverter drains a battery far more quickly in a power outage situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks