basic question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kathy carr, Oct 20, 2005.

1. kathy carr

kathy carr New Member

I never thought this could be so complicated. My requirements for a replacement toilet are ADA and a 14" rough in. What are my options??
    Thanks
  2. finnegan

finnegan New Member

Are you asking what model toilet will work for you? I would expect that any ADA compliant toilet should fit in a 14" rough in. There are many ADA compliant toilets to choose from.
  3. kathy carr

kathy carr New Member

it's the 14 " rough I'm having trouble with
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I believe if you were to change the flange to an adjustable one, you could "lose" 2" and use a regular ADA toilet such as the Toto Drake. Often these flanges are offered as a way to gain 2" from a 10" rough-in to a 12", so I think they should work the other way. If this is not correct, I'm sure I will be corrected.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Drake ADA doesn't adjust, it's a standard 12" rough toilet.

Most 14" toilet combinations are really 12" bowls with thicker tanks.
    As long as there is room, using a standard 12" would be fine.

If you want to pull the bowl back toward the wall, then there are models that use a Unifit, some are for the 14" rough.
    [​IMG]
    Toto Llyod has a 16.125" bowl height and the 14" unifit can be ordered for it.

[​IMG]
    Toto Nexus is 16.125" bowl and will work with a unifit.
  6. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Thanks for setting me straight. As you could probably tell from my post, I wasn't absolutely sure. It appears that there are easier ways that changing the flange to get around the problem anyway.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

Unless the extra space behind the toilet is a problem using a 12" toilet on a 14" rough should not be a problem.
  8. eljer tanks

I believe that Eljer makes a 14 inch rough
    handicapped toilet....the tank is just designed thicker
  9. kathy carr

kathy carr New Member

We've made some compromises and settled on either the Toto Plymouth or the Dartmouth. Any comments on either??
  10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I like them both.

Both have good performance and they look really nice.
    I put them in a lot of older Seattle homes, though the new traditional style home would work well with them too.