Basic bathtub plumbing question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rdtompki, Jun 16, 2007.

1. rdtompki

rdtompki New Member

I've gutted our guest bathroom and the first order of business is the plumbing. The new rough in won't be a problem, but as I'm on a slab redoing the ABS drain has me a bit concerned (I installed a whirlpool tub in our master bath, but I had a decent size hole to work in).

My plan is to make up the waste and overflow, attach to tub, position the tub in place and measure the position of the centerline. I can then move the tub out of the way and make up the p-trap. I all works well I can do the final solvent weld when I position the tub in place. Does this sound reasonable? Unfortunately, the hole is small and the p-trap shallow .

Rick
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

You could break up some of the floor if that would make the job easier. You can't change the shallow part but you could move the trap some.
  3. rdtompki

rdtompki New Member

I won't hesitate to break out more concrete, but do plumbers prefer making up the whole assembly with the tub in place (if they have room) or making up the trap and waste/overflow separately and then solvent welding with the tub in place. Seems like the latter would be easier.