basement washing machine drain in top of sump?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by ncsu, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ncsu

ncsu New Member

All - I would like to move my washing machine to another part of my basement where there is no connection to an under slab pipe running to the sump. Currently my washing machine drains into a utility sink that is connected to an underground pipe to the sump, which then pushes this to the sewer line about 5ft off the slab floor. I was planning on removing my utility sink and capping off the top of the under slab pipe. Its not in a good location.

I will be installing 2x4 walls along the basement walls and would like to drain the washing machine into a standpipe/trap configuration that then runs along my 2x4 wall and discharges into the sump system from the top of it. Is this typically ok to do?

Thanks for any help-advice....

Kevin
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

That would depend completely on the local codes.

Most places no longer allow a sump pump to be connected to the sewer system as it causes the treatment plant to be deluged with groundwater. Sump pumps are for pumping groundwater away from the homes foundation. There is a basin/pump system available for laundry discharge which is similar to what is available for sewage. The local municipality building dept. would be the place to ask what is required.
  3. ncsu

ncsu New Member

thanks...I forgot to explain something...i have two sumps (I call them sumps :))
    one for ground drain water, the other pump the sink and washing machine and, basement drain to the sewer line. I'd just like to move my washing machine to a location where there is no underground pipe running to the "sewer sump". Instead I'd like to drain to the sump via the 2x4 wall route and turn drain downward through the top cover of the sewer sump, keeping all sealed and removeable for future maintenance.
    Any idea if this would be ok...I called the local inspection guy today and he just kept bringing up points that had nothing to do with my question.
    Thanks.
  4. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

If the ejector pit is sealed, there should be two pipes leaving the lid, First pipe is the pump discharge, the second is the vent, some codes will allow you to cut a tee into the vent pipe to drain a utility sink.
  5. Robert K. Tompsett

Robert K. Tompsett New Member

Washer to sump to street

In Van Buren County, Michigan - My house was built in the early 60's, typical 3 bd rm. ranch. The sump pit is in the dry basement. The washer drains into sump pit via the laundry tub. The pump lifts the washer's gray water up 7' into the village sewer - not the storm drain - the house connection was at one time 20 years ago hooked to the old septic tank system. Never has there been any question as to my washer hook up.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The problem is not the washer drainage going to sewer, it is groundwater from a sump pump going to the sewer. Groundwater from a foundation drain system does not require treatment, and thus should not be pumped to a sewer.