Basement Utility Sink Drain Options

Users who are viewing this thread

Shinshi

Reaction score
I would like to install a utility sink in my basement and I am considering my options on how best to plumb it. The main stack is on the completely opposite side of the finished basement, so not an option. There is a drain in the basement floor, 6 feet from where I would like to locate the utility sink. I understand from a local plumbing inspector that the drain should be connected to the sewer line and not just drain below the house or to the storm sewer.

Now, my question is, how can I connect to this drain? If I break up the concrete, I expect to find a 2" line or so from the drain to the main sewer line. I can run a vent line for the sink easy enough and connect it with the existing vent line in the attic. So really the question is, can I plumb the drain to a "Y" in the existing line to the drain in the floor, provided I vent the sink separately?

There is an access port beside the drain, which I will open up and see what I find. I expect it is a backflow valve or cleanout. If I were to connect the drain on the main line side of that valve or cleanout, would that be acceptable?

Floor Drain.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would guess that you do have a 2" waste line to the floor drain.
You can cut concrete, and wye into the line downstream of the floor drain vent. You will of course be adding a vent for the utility sink. All doable.
As to whether the floor drain goes to the sewer or not, kinda depends on the decade and style of plumbing being done at that time. In the last forty years that I've been plumbing, I would expect it to go somewhere legal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks