Basement tub dap out question

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jasonal119, Jan 17, 2010.

1. jasonal119

jasonal119 New Member

I am in the process of finishing our basement and have already roughed in for a full bath and had it inspected by the local building department. We have also replaced the concrete but have left a dap out or "hole" approximately 12x12" where the tub drain and overflow assembly will connect to the drain. The question is whether the hole needs to be filled in and/or topped with concrete at any point in the installation process, or if it can just be filled with the gravel that came out of the hole in the first place. Is some form of concrete "cover" required by IRC or UPC?
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

In our area we a required to cement the opening. The main reason is for termites. It makes it hard to do repairs on the trip waste but we have to deal with it.

John
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cover

Our inspectors also require that it be capped with concrete, but they tell me it is to keep the gophers out of the house. We also have termites but concrete just slows them down.
  4. jasonal119

jasonal119 New Member

I am using an inexpensive "lift and turn" style drain assembly on this tub as that style was used on the other tubs in the house... How far down do I need to be with the top of the concrete under the tub?

Thanks for the help!
  5. johnjh2o1

Hook up the drain on the tub then cement the hole.

John
  6. jasonal119

jasonal119 New Member

Thanks John... not to sound stupid, but I want to make sure I understand... Do I set the tub and then reach in through the wall and put the concrete in then that way?

Thanks!
  7. johnjh2o1

You got it. At one time we were required to use tar. That made a real mess, but it also did a better job sealing the opening from termites.

John