Basement toilet overflow from heavy rain

Users who are viewing this thread

phillyrjr

Reaction score
Summary: I own a rowhome in philadelphia where there is a combined sanitary/stormwater system. During heavy rains when the city sewers are surging, the toilet and shower in the finished basement sometimes back up. The roof rainleaders and yard drain are behind the house and run into the sewer line. The basement bathroom is toward the front of the house. We had a clean check backwater valve installed by the city between the street and the house, to prevent the sewer water from coming in. However if/when that closes, we are likely to get the rainwater from the gutters backing up into the basement. I installed a general wire spring "flood guard" in the shower drain to prevent that but the toilet remains as a risk.

Is there a device that can be installed on the toilet, or a backflow preventing toilet that can be installed to prevent the backup?

(the basement floor is concrete and finished with tile, there would likely be no way to dig it up to put in a check valve in the sewer line.)

Thanks!
Russ

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
You'd think the contractor/city would have thought about the downspouts and where they meet the city connection.

I dont think you'd wanna pump that rain water through the drainage, because then you'd be fighting the force of the check valve with the city water/septic behind it.

Cant help you much more than that!

phillyrjr

Reaction score
The downspouts connect at the rear of the house and there is no alley or anywhere else to direct the water. (if I disconnect the rainleader, then the water will just fill up the yard and go down the yard drain.)

The rowhomes are all attached, so I can't direct it to the street out front.

The only thing I'm thinking is to get some rain barrels to reduce the pressure/flow rate during bad storms.

phillyrjr

Reaction score
Or what If I plug the toilet line at the flange in the floor and get a saniflo compact masticating toilet and connect it to the bathroom sink drain line with a backflow valve on that line....think that would work?

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Or what If I plug the toilet line at the flange in the floor and get a saniflo compact masticating toilet and connect it to the bathroom sink drain line with a backflow valve on that line....think that would work?

I dont think that would be accepted by code. I'm sure you'd need at least a 3" line if you are draining your toilet AND the sink into it. What about venting issues?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do may be to call the City and tell them that it's not working because your downspouts tie in before the check valve. They might tell you tough luck because its your own downspout.

You could raise the toilet up on a platform so you have room for a valve underneith it. You would have to manually shut it. Or, you could bust up tile/concrete to do the same. But heck, if you're going to do that install an automatic check valve.

Another option could be to put in a pump of some sort so that when the sewers are surcharged, it can overcome the pressure be able to still discharge. This is likely an expensive option.

Does your 'yard drain' tie in before or after your check valve?

phillyrjr

Reaction score
Hi Lakee911,

The downspout ties in before the checkvalve. that's why i'm concerned that the rainwater will be forced in.

The city inspector when he came out said "this is only a pilot program" basically it's my own problem, all he suggested was disconnecting the rainleader to drain into the yard. (which then goes down the yard drain instead)

Have you ever heard of anyone trying one of these?

http://www.sudsnfloodtamer.com/

Thanks

Russ

bsage

Reaction score
Hey Russ,
I am having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution?

thanks,
brad

Gkarel

Reaction score
Hey Russ,
I am having the exact same problem. Did you find a solution?

thanks,
brad
Hello,
I have the same problem too...any suggestion? I live in the city..is it possible the backwater valve which I presume is there has stopped working? Would this be solely my problem or canthe city help?..my neighbors have not been affected at all....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks